ad

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Nationals' Qualifier #1

About 94 people came to participate in the tournament. 12 people qualified.
I played Mono White aggro deck. The idea of playing monowhite scared me for a while and the idea of playing stupid aggro as well. In the end I decided to try it even though I did not trust the deck at all.

In my first round I quickly overrun my opponent playing Jund. He probably got some weird hand. He showed me four lands and that was it. In the second game I got him to like 4 life points and then he played Garruk. Bane of my little guys...
I only had brave the elements and oblivion ring to solve the problem (when we were testing this, I found out that garruk putting a beast in play is the main problem I have with Jund). None came. I tried Elspeth, but she did not help as the flyer got killed by lightning bolt. In the third game I got mana screwed and couldn't play anything. It took quite a while till Igor killed me. That was most unfortunate. But that happens.

In the second round I played against Bloodchief Ascension. My opponent showed me this ascension, some burn spells, blightning, kalastria highborn and vampire nocturnus. My weenies were quite fast and my opponent did not manage to charge the ascension in time. I played everything I could and searched with Ranger only what I could put directly in play. One blightning would be capable of killing me and I wanted to avoid that.
I miscalculated one attack in the second game which resulted in a loss. In the third game my opponent was still trying to use bloodchief ascension as a win condition even though I had like 8 removals for that card. To my surprise he played two ascensions but did not manage to charge them in time.

In the third round I played against burn, which normally is pretty good match up. I lost the first game, did some not really good plays (even though that would have not changed anything). In the second I sided and hoped for 2 lands and firewalker. I mulled to 4 to get least a land in my hand. I lost to 3 hell's thunders^^. (byla jsem umichana *sniff*^^)

Fourth round was against Jund. In the first round I killed him with two lynxes and three fetchlands. In the second he mulled to 4 (I don't know why, this does not happen to me with Jund). He 'almost' got more lands than me (he did, but KOTWO helped me change that) and managed to play some cards, but I was simply faster and won the game.

I considered dropping from the tournament at this point. As there were many UWs, 2x Open the Vaults, 1x Pyromancer's ascension and some other decks...I did not want to play against them. Anyway I decided to go on and I encountered Tomas Bilek with UW control. He won the first game with Iona and in the second game I tried my best to deal as much damage as possible and win with Elspeth. I could have gotten him to 6 lives and then one attack with Elspeth would do the job. But well...I never got the chance.

Now after the tournament I need to find a way how to deal with Bant efficiently and UW controls. (or choose a different deck)

No comments:

Post a Comment