ad

Friday, May 17, 2013

Cube Draft - Drafting control this time..

Yesterday one of our cube draft sessions took place at Najada. We were six and this time I was sitting next to players I don't usually sit which was a good news!

My first booster pack was nothing I would want to see. There were good black cards but would immediately send me into mono black. That wasn't my plan for the day so I picked Vampiric Tutor. My second pick was Consecrated Sphinx which was the best card there. After these two cards I was picking blue and black spells. But my deck was missing something...some really solid cards. Even my counterspells and removal spells were not good. In the second pack my first pick was Rout. If I wanted to survive long enough to play my big creatures I needed something like this. Majority of the cards I picked were white... among them Balance, Faith Fetters, Elesh Norn, Vindicate. The last four cards that circled were Wildfire, Ravenous Baboons, Pillage and Ghitu Encampment^^. I found that quite funny.

In the last pack I hoped for something like Wall of Omens but there was something even better - Spellskite and Wall of Reverance. Anyway my first pick was Necromancy, followed by Tinker that came handy. With all those cards my deck became playable^_^.

In the first round I played against America colored deck that was trying to beat me with some little creatures. I encountered several counterspells but that couldn't stop me as my whole hand was full of my big dudes. In game two Porcelain Legionnaire was played on turn one. That was not nice. On turn five I produced a blocker and on turn six I played Frost Titan hoping to stop that godamn creature from attacking. I was down to 5 life so I hoped I wouldn't die to some burn spells or something with haste.

In the second round I played against GW deck. It was slower but an aggro deck anyway. The first game was relatively quick victory for me but the second game took ages. I knew that my opponnent had two removal that could take down my Sphinx of Steel Wind and I did not have much response to that except for Vindicate (Oblivion Ring) and drawing the card once again (Condemn). My opponent played quite a lot of creatures and had Mirari's Wake, Survival of the Fittest and Awakening Zone in play. I had Wall of Reverance, Frost Titan and Psychatog. This was enough to keep my opponent from not attacking much. He was attacking but still I was gaining too much life. I did not want his creatures to die that would make a really big Scavenging Ooze that I couldn't really deal with.

After what seemed an eternity I finally played Sphinx of the Steel Wind. It was sent to (temporary) oblivion so we were drawing cards for yet another eternity. I was hoping to draw some flyer but none showed up (there was still Nefarox and Consecrated Sphinx in the deck somewhere). Anyway I finally drew Vindicate and destroyed the Oblivion Ring. The creature managed to deal some damage (opponent went down to 13) but was condemned. After this I was quite screwed but hoped that one of the reanimation spells would show up. My hand consisted of Faith Fetters (the only way how I could deal with Garruk that was creating beasts each turn), Buried Alive and Godless Shrine. I went from roughly 70 life down to 40 when I decided to play Balance to get rid of all the Awakening Zone tokens and all the creatures (actually this was for the second time I was in such a situation...). I also top decked Necromancy so I played Buried Alive on my Sphinx and reanimated. This time the Sphinx made it.

Next game was supposed to be against WR aggro deck. But we decided to split and rather get something to eat^^.

No comments:

Post a Comment