ad

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

GPT Krakow - Standard Abzan Midrange

This weekend there were several type 2 events - PTQ, PPTQ and GPT Krakow. After several type 2 events I decided against playing in the (P)PTQs and decided to play at a smaller event because I don't like the format much but still wanted to give it a chance and because the PTQ entrance fee was pretty high.

The day before the GPT/PTQ I was trying to figure out how my deck should look like. I noticed few things I wanted to fix. My deck was trying to be more of a control than it can actually be so this midrange deck needed more threats and Elspeth is not one of them (after playing few times against UB control and Abzan/BG Constellation). I decided to try out Abzan aggro for a while to see what it does (few games actually). I wasn't fan of Rakshasa Deathdealer but Fleecemane Lion was pretty cool and Anafenza seemed good as well. The games I lost during the few tournaments were actually against Abzan Aggro so I decided to change my deck a bit. I added 2 End Hostilities (because I really need a board wipe after all...), 2 Bile Blight (because Seeker of the Way and Rabblemaster are pretty annoying) and Fleecemane Lion. I cut Sylvan Caryatids because they are not really good blockers anyway and getting ahead with mana is not that important. Because the only thing I actually want to play earlier is End Hostilities anyway. Elspeth is not something that can save the day earlier in the game...and sometimes it does not even save it late game (sometimes I should read some cards, but my opponent playing Temur Charm and desperately wanting to draw it told me what the card does. So far it usually countered my cards...or killed them. I wasn't aware what the last ability does). Fleecemane Lion is a way better blocker and it can actually attack. Against aggressive decks or heroic decks it showed up to be pretty good. Even though the lion dies most of the immediately it does way more than the Caryatid. Having access to a creature that can attack also helps a bit with planeswalkers so I cut Utter End from both sideboard and main deck and when the Lion is monstrous it usually stays on the table. I was thinking about cutting one Courser of Kruphix and adding another Fleecemane Lion, in the end I left it as it was. I was considering playing Wingmate Roc as this card managed to kill me many times, but I'll rather play End Hostilities to deal with those birds. There is one card though that I wanted to try. The card I wanted to add to my deck was a creature or a threat in general...so that is how Tasigur, the Golden Fang ended up in the deck. At first it did not really seem to do much, but my opponents actually had to deal with it and I at least got a replacement card. (most of the time it was Courser of Kruphix). So after some thought about that...I decided that it is actually worth it (and during the tournament it was usually target number one).

As for sideboard. I took out Utter End, End Hostilities and Bile Blight (and wingmate rocs) so I could replace those cards with other ones. I left 1 End Hostilities there, added 3 Anafenza and 1 Back to Nature. I was thinking about adding Elspeth but that did not happen^^ I did not regret having Back to Nature there instead of Elspeth. I always managed to hit more than one card with it.

Junk Control
By STsung
Creature [11]
3 Fleecemane Lion
4 Siege Rhino
2 Tasigur, the Golden Fang
4 Courser of Kruphix

Instant [12]
4 Bile Blight
4 Abzan Charm
4 Hero's Downfall

Sorcery [6]
2 End Hostilities
4 Thoughtseize

Land [25]
4 Temple of Malady
4 Temple of Silence
3 Llanowar Wastes
3 Windswept Heath
3 Forest
1 Plains
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
2 Caves of Koilos
4 Sandsteppe Citadel

Planeswalker [4]
2 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
2 Sorin, Solemn Visitor

SB: 3 Read the Bones
SB: 1 End Hostilities
SB: 2 Unravel the AEther
SB: 3 Drown in Sorrow
SB: 2 Nissa, Worldwaker
SB: 3 Anafenza, the Foremost
SB: 1 Back to Nature

When FRF came out people started to change their decks a bit, they were trying new cards and were trying to figure out what to play. Those games were actually quite fun and I did not need to face a mythic card after a mythic card. In the end it all came down to the (almost) very same decks they played when only KTK was around and it started to get boring once again^_~. But because the last two tournaments did not make me angry and I had relatively fun during them I decided to participate in the GPT Krakow.

I got a bye in the first round so I wasn't particularly happy but in the end why not. I at least got the time to wake up and check what other people play. There were Sultai Whip decks, Abzan Aggro, Boros Aggro, Mardu Warriors, UB Control, Abzan Midrange, UW Heroic... So I wondered what I would play against in the next round and the only deck I did not want to play was UB Control. I was paired against Mardu Warriors. I helped the player to build the deck the day before so I knew what I was against. I knew that game 1 is not really favorable but after sideboarding I should win relatively easily (I did not know his SB though so who knows what would face me). Anyway the first game was pretty close. I managed to play 2 Rhinos which would seem sufficient, but after seeing his hand with two Hordechiefs I wasn't really sure what I can do. I would be down to 0 if he would play the Hordechief and attack with everything on the table. I top decked courser of Kruphix though, played a land, gained one life and that was game. I couldn't lose the second game so I my opponent got upset about it. But anyway he did not say a word except that I should go 5:0 and win the GPT. I was like 'whatever...'.

Next I played against Sultai Whip. I don't know if that's just me but I haven't seen this deck do what it should do against me. I killed all possible threats and killed my opponent quite easily. He was rather too mana flooded and milled his Whip so it was ok. Hornet Queen was a bit annoying but he had to trade all of his creatures in order to survive so that was ok. In the second game I boarded in Anafenzas and Unravel the Aether. I played Anafenza after Anafenza till one managed to stay in play and won.

After this I played against Abzan Aggro. I thought I would lose the first game but in the end I managed to win. I was down to 1 life because I couldn't deal with Rakshasa Deathdealer and Siege Rhino would kill me. I had Elspeth in my hand though and another one was on the top of my library. I did not have a sixth land to play it so I hoped to get it and be able to win as fast as possible (the card underneath was Thoughtseize...^^). My creatures that were currently on the table had to trade or chump (mostly the latter). I drew the land finally, played Elspeth and created three tokens. I hoped that my creatures wouldn't die to Bile Blight or that I wouldn't die to top decked Rhino. My opponent played few creatures but none of them was Rhino and he did not hit Bile Blight so I won using Elspeth's ultimate ability later. Uff. In the second game after I sided in Read the Bones and Anafenza I kind of had everything I needed.

Then I played against UB Control. I did not look forward to that game. After a late game Thoughtseize I saw that I couldn't win but it took ages for my opponent to kill me. I won the second game somehow?. In the deciding game I tried to desperately hit Courser of Kruphix/Siege Rhino for life gain and End Hostilities to get rid of Silumgar that was killing me. Unfortunately for me my End Hostilities ended up in the RFG or graveyard (Ashiok? or something else?) so I was kind of screwed and I couldn't deal 17 damage in time. I was down to 10 when I decided to still play Read the Bones so I would have at least some chance to get something. I hit Courser of Kruphix that gained me 4 life but in the end I was one life short in order to survive the game. I lost the game when my opponent played Ugin (preceded with 3 Dig Through Times). He decided not to bolt me (I was at 3 life) but rather killed me the next turn by Silumgar's attack and this time Ugin's Bolt^_~ in the last additional turn.

Next I was wondering whom I would play. In the end I played against Abzan Aggro again. We had quite a Siege Rhino battle. My opponent had more Rhinos but Tasigur showed up to help me against them so we were staring at each other for a while...till my opponent attacked, played Bile Blight on my Rhinos and killed them in the process (they weren't blocking Rhinos). So I just Ended Hostilities and we started all over again. I played Elspeth the turn after and she actually managed to win. I won the second game as well somehow, I don't really remember how.

In the finals I was supposed to play against UB Control. I was prepared to play the final match because it would be nice to win something from time to time^_^ but decided against it in the end. Patrik was asking me during the tournament if I go to GP Krakow. I said 'no' because I simply don't have the money for it (I wasn't aware that this Trial was actually to Krakow). When the TO told me this I decided to concede because Patrik is actually one of the few players that don't have the byes for the GP and who is actually going there.

I received about ten packs for my efforts and decided to open them....I opened Tasigur and not much else...^_^. The tournament was fun, I had a great time and did not regret going to the PTQ.

No comments:

Post a Comment