ad

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Competitive EDH - The Mimeoplasm Adventure

Cerny Rytir game store started a weekly tournament in EDH. The first month was for free. After finding about this I had to participate. I knew that my chances of winning the tournaments is quite big and winning free credit for free is good, isn't?

I managed to miss the first tournament because there were some strange things going on. It changed the date and time so I wasn't really sure when to come. Anyway I inquired about the correct date and time and came for the second tournament. There were ten players in total. As there were still some problems with disinformation we started pretty late. Three rounds were played.

In the first round I played against Jhoira of the Gitu. Really nice deck ^_~. I Peek'ed at my opponents hand on t1 and saw a Blood Moon there along with City of Traitors. Unfortunately the land I played wasn't an BASIC Island. He played the Blood Moon on turn 2 and from there I just couldn't do a thing. In game two everything seemed good for my opponent but I knew that I have my chances and kill him in one turn if I'll wait long enough and try to avoid any kind of obliterate effects (just keeping a black source in my hand would do). I won to my opponent's surprise. I won the third game as well.

Then I played against Geist of Saint Treft. The first game he played the Geist early and equipped him with Umezawa's Jitte. One attack before my death I managed to kill my opponent with my Necrotic Ooze/Phyrexian Devourer/Triskelion combo (I needed to play Intuition, Thirst for Knowledge and then reanimate which took me a while and I ended up at 6 life or so). In game two I just killed him after he played his general. He didn't have Force of Will so I won.

In the last round I played against a german highlander deck that can kill via several combos. In game one he totally crushed me with Lark combo. In game two it was my turn to kill him on turn 3. In the last game it was about who draws a black source of mana first. It wasn't me unfortunately.

In the second tournament there were 11 players or so. I played against black Mikaeus in the first round. The deck wasn't suited for 1-on-1 so I won pretty fast. Next I spent the whole round playing against the Geist player from the previous tournament. In game one I killed him on t3 but the second game took ages. It came down to him attacking me with Glen Elendra Archmage that was later joined by Snapcaster Mage. I was in top deck mode, with combo in my graveyard and was waiting for my opponent to play all his counterspells and get rid of the Archmage. So I played The Mimeoplasm for the first time, it got countered. I played The Mimeoplasm for the second time and it was once again countered. I played Rune-Scarred Demon (that would fetch Cavern of Souls). It was Delay'ed. Jace, the Mind Sculptor hit the board on the other side of the table. He used the card to Brainstorm few times and fate seal but did not bounce his Archmage to replay it so he could counter something once again without losing the card (I already played some Tutor that got countered). Fortunately for me I was drawing lands all the time so I could play my general 4 times in total during the whole game. The fourth attempt was actually a success. And I could proceed into the finals yet once again playing against the german highlander deck. This time I won. Game one was fast but the second was quite funny. I played Survival of the Fittest that ended up under Oblivion Ring. So I played Flash -> Terastodon, destroyed the Oblivion Ring, tutored my combo and reanimated Necrotic Ooze. That was funny^_~.

In the third tournament, 14 players attended, I suffered one lost against High Tide. I just couldn't do much. In the first game I played ten lands and then died to Tendrils of Agony. In the second game I tried to play some stuff but everything got countered. My opponent fizzled in the first attempt but still he managed to kill me two turns later by comboing off again. So I was prepared to be really aggressive the next time I play against it. In general the tournament did not start well. I lost the first game against Elves because I couldn't count to three. My opponent had no idea how to play the deck so I was actually lucky that I got few more turns to try to win but still I didn't draw anything relevant (he did not realize that his elves have forestwalk nor that Berserk played on one of the elves would actually kill me). In game two I won pretty easily and in the third game my opponent kept some bad hand (consisting of more lands than elves). Anyway I came up second or something^_~.

In the last tournament that was held yesterday I played against my own deck - Marath Pod - in the first round. I horribly died in the first game because I forgot about Scavenging Ooze. When I finally top decked Toxic Deluge I still couldn't win because I still needed one more turn to bury my creatures and then reanimate. Too bad because Scavenging Ooze would hit the table again and would eat my little creatures. I should have either replayed/re-reanimated Sylvan Primordial or just find some more permanent removal for the Scavenging Ooze. I was to dumb to do that though. In game two I had 2 tutors, 2 reanimation spells, Frantic Search and 2 lands. That was good enough^_~. In game three I started with Buried Alive, 3 lands and reanimation spell. So I kept the hand, drew Elf of the top and killed on T3.

In round 2 I was paired against the High Tide played. In game one I mulled to 4 and kept a hand containing Entomb, Exhume and 2 lands. I managed to play Entomb, but my Exhume got Thoughtseize'ed. I have to say that I did not see this coming but I should have. Few more turns later I managed to resolve Survival of the Fittest and discard Terastodon and fetch Dryad Arbor. I played the land because it was my fifth land and hoped it would stay there so I could reanimate Entombed Griselbrand. My opponent played Treachery on the Dryad Arbor but I still top decked a land and played the general. After Impulse/Frantic Search my creature resolved so I had 16/16 Griselbrand in play^_^. I knew that the card wouldn't last long but 'at least' I could draw 14 cards. My opponent bounced my general with Jace, the Mind Sculptor. I drew 14 cards and won later. In game to I managed to bury my combo but I did not have the chance to reanimate it due to Force of Will. I only had my general, no other lands in sight and no cards in hand. I was doomed. After drawing Woodfall Primus and Rune-Scarred Demon of the top and seeing Time Spiral being drawn of Dark Confidant I conceded. In game three I mulled to 5 keeping Buried Alive, mana dork, Skithyrix and 2 lands. I played Buried Alive on T2 while my opponent was tapped out and hoped that somehow I would manage to reanimate the combo. I did not have Reanimation spell but Skithyrix seemed threatening enough to lure a counterspell and thus I would also have a fourth creature in my graveyard. After Skithyrix being Force of Will'ed I tried playing Mimeoplasm and it resolved. (not sure if it was the first time or second time).

In the last round I played against Child of Alara. A five color deck that I had no idea what it does. I suspected some graveyard action but had no idea what the deck looked like. In game one my opponent kept a hand with Bojuka Bog, High Market and who knows what. He tried to desperately draw a forest but I destroyed it each time. Anyway I played buried alive and my combo was sent to oblivion (Bojuka Bog). Later my opponent played his first forest. I was already at 7 mana. I drew Sylvan Primordial so I destroyed the Forest and looked for a black source so I could possibly hard cast Griselbrand. When my opponent played another land and fetched for a dual land I destroyed it with Woodfall Primus. Later I played Jace, the Mind Scultor to make his life even more miserable and sending yet one more forest to the bottom of his library. Then at 10 lands I played Jin Gitaxias and my opponent scooped. In game two I had both Buried Alive and Reanimate in my hand. So I just played both of it on turn 4 and it worked out. (I knew that he had sorcery speed removal of graveyard, but wasn't sure about instant one or counterspells...that's the disadvantage of a deck that kills on t3-4)

On the side note I cut Counterspell and added Diabolic Intent. This tournament I managed to play it twice and I'll keep it there for the upcoming tournament. I will also cut Reflecting Pool because I almost lost one game due to having Boseiju and Reflecting Pool as my only lands. Mana Confluence will replace the Reflecting Pool. The cards I usually mulligan are Jace, the Mind Sculptor and Recurring Nightmare. Both cards can be insanely good but most of the time I don't really want to see them. I might try playing without them. But what will replace them...I have no idea... Probe and Death? ^_^

This Saturday there should be a bigger tournament in EDH. So I'll try attending it and I'll see how my deck can fair at bigger event. For the time being there are either EDH multiplayer players that come to the tournaments (and they lose terribly), some French EDH players and some German Highlander players. The german highlander players though have the best decks, French EDH players have quite solid decks but it seems that the german highlander players' decks are from completely different realm than those build for EDH by French EDH players. This month all the groups of players attended the tournaments. Will this change? We will see. The upcoming weekend tournament might show who actually is interested in such a tournament.

Mimeoplasm Combo
stsung
Vintage

Main Deck:
EDIT: I just noticed that there are two cards missing....the missing cards are Jace, the Mind Sculptor and Liliana of the Veil.

1 Arbor Elf
1 Birds of Paradise
1 Deathrite Shaman
1 Elves of Deep Shadow
1 Elvish Mystic
1 Fyndhorn Elves
1 Griselbrand
1 Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur
1 Llanowar Elves
1 Massacre Wurm
1 Necrotic Ooze
1 Phyrexian Devourer
1 Primeval Titan
1 Rune-Scarred Demon
1 Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon
1 Sylvan Primordial
1 Terastodon
1 Triskelion
1 Woodfall Primus

1 Abrupt Decay
1 Animate Dead
1 Brainstorm
1 Buried Alive
1 Careful Study
1 Compulsive Research
1 Diabolic Intent
1 Dance of the Dead
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Dismember
1 Duress
1 Entomb
1 Exhume
1 Fact or Fiction
1 Flash
1 Frantic Search
1 Gitaxian Probe
1 Go for the Throat
1 Green Sun's Zenith
1 Inquisition of Kozilek
1 Intuition
1 Lim-Dul's Vault
1 Maelstrom Pulse
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Natural Order
1 Necromancy
1 Peek
1 Pernicious Deed
1 Ponder
1 Preordain
1 Reanimate
1 Recurring Nightmare
1 Show and Tell
1 Strategic Planning
1 Survival of the Fittest
1 Sylvan Library
1 Thirst for Knowledge
1 Thoughtseize
1 Toxic Deluge

1 Bayou
1 Bloodstained Mire
1 Bojuka Bog
1 Boseiju, Who Shelters All
1 Breeding Pool
1 Cavern of Souls
1 Cephalid Coliseum
1 City of Brass
1 Command Tower
1 Drowned Catacomb
1 Dryad Arbor
1 Flooded Grove
1 Flooded Strand
2 Forest (246)
1 Hinterland Harbor
2 Island (234)
1 Llanowar Wastes
1 Marsh Flats
1 Misty Rainforest
1 Overgrown Tomb
1 Phyrexian Tower
1 Polluted Delta
1 Scalding Tarn
2 Swamp (238)
1 Tropical Island
1 Twilight Mire
1 Underground River
1 Underground Sea
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 Verdant Catacombs
1 Wasteland
1 Watery Grave
1 Windswept Heath
1 Wooded Foothills
1 Woodland Cemetery
1 Yavimaya Coast

No comments:

Post a Comment