ad

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Kiki-Jiki vs Roon and Pithing Needle

On Tuesday afternoon I met with Jan Jestribek for few games of EDH. He played his unfinished Roon deck (out of cards I don't really need) and I played Marath. My opener consisted of 5 lands and Knight of the Reliquary and one more card I cannot recall. I put away 4 cards (3 lands and the card I cannot recall, I think it was Deranged Hermit) and I drew Kiki-Jiki, Zealous Conscripts and Restoration Angel. I wasn't really happy with that but kept the hand. I did not expect to win this game because playing those just like that is quite difficult. (And at that time I did not know what awaited me)

My opponent played two lands and then started playing mana rocks. That did not really look good. I was stuck at three lands (fortunately 3 lands because I managed to play KotR and unfortunately because I wouldn't be able to play Kiki-Jiki or Conscripts). I did not really want to sac a land to play Restoration Angel but I did it in the end. I still did not draw the fourth land^_^ and Jan had like all the mana to cast anything several times in his deck. In the meantime I was watching the board on the other side of the table grow and Birthing Pod did not really help it either (with Kitchen Finks that just couldn't die....oh yeah..). I drew Wickerbough Elder that got rid of the Pod but it came back nonetheless (but it saved me). The biggest problem though (except the Pod that would kill me) was the general that could flicker Kitchen Finks, Restoration Angel, Wall of Blossoms or Eternal Witness. That was not good (with Bant Charm in the graveyard)....Anyway some time later I managed to play Kiki-Jiki but my Kiki-Jiki target was flickered away. Jan played Pithing Needle then naming Kiki-Jiki. I drew Courser of Kruphix (this was actually relevant because apart from the need to draw more cards I was down to 7 life) and I tried to draw something that would help me get rid of the Needle. Using Skullclamp and killing some elves or Marath's tokens I managed to draw Beast Within (while playing a land each turn...). Beast Within got countered. Later my Restoration Angel died so I tried to get it back with Eternal Witness, play it once again so I could blink my Elder but it was flickered in response. Too bad...I still couldn't win with Kiki-Jiki. It took one more turn for me to deal with the Needle. There was Eladamri's Call on top of my library so all I needed was to draw it, play it and fetch Harmonic Sliver. Jan did not have a counterspell for that and died (I would be dead the next turn). Also I managed to steal the general from time to time (not that it would help...well it gained me some life, that was important at that time)^_~ and I killed one of his lands - I stole it with Zealous Conscripts so I could sac it find a different land and play Kiki-Jiki. Many funny things happened during the game^_~

It was quite fun^_~

No comments:

Post a Comment