ad

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Esper Control Standard deck - A thought

A friend of mine is asking me quite often if I'm going to play some standard and I always say that I have build a deck first. Today I decided to give it thought so I'll share them. I'm not playing t2 and I have no idea how this is going to work but in theory it should. I spent some time sorting Gatecrash cards and former edition cards so I know what cards are available. I just did not look at them the way a player of this format would.

Last time I played standard was at RTR Game Day which I managed to win and the time before that it was the before last Game Day in which I came out second because mono white was too fast and killed me on turn 4 so no wrath could safe me (played Solar Flare). At the RTR GD I played Bant Control. The deck was slow as hell but was capable of beating quite a lot of decks. I had problems with resolved Rakdos's Return and really fast aggro decks. Zombies and RDW were giving me a hard time. I could deal with UWx and something slower. But true control still beat me. The deck needed to be rebuild and I did that. Played with it few times just for fun (winning) but not playing at a tournament. What helped the deck was more Azorius Charms against fast decks and Nephalia Drownyard for the really slow ones^^. Anyway I wanted to build something like one of these decks.

The colors should be - White and Blue for certain but not sure about the other color. So I wrote down some cards by color. (cards in bold are the ones that would make it to main deck)

Blue-White
Supreme Verdict
Detention Sphere
Azorius Charm
Feeling of Dread

Blue
Dissipate
Snapcaster Mage
Augur of Bolas
Tamiyo, the Moon Sage
Jace, Architect of Thought
Jace, Memory Adept

White
Terminus
Restoration Angel
Oblivion Ring
Blind Obediance

Black
Lingering Souls
Forbidden Alchemy
Obzedat, Ghost Council
Merciless Eviction
Dimir Charm

Red
Searing Spear
Aurelia's Fury
Pillar of Flame

Green
Thragtusk
Farseek
Centaur Healer

After looking at this I realized that there is Dimir Charm and Obzedat and Lingering Souls at one place. Thus the third color was chosen - Black.

So what the deck needs? Something to survive early threats. For that there is Ultimate Price, Dimir Charm or Azorius Charm. In Dimir Charm's range there's quite a lot of creatures so it seems to be pretty valid. It also helps milling or looking for a card and can counter a sorcery spell. Azorius Charm slows down or draws a card and Ultimate price does just one thing and I decided to drop that card. I should be able to play some Wrath effect if this works and won't be useless because of Boros Charm I can play my win con in this case that would be Obzedat.

This deck can mill via Nephalia's Drownyard and could possible use Memory Adept to its advantage. I think that there are many annoying cards that can slow down and if that means surviving till 6 lands there's Merciless Eviction that can deal with indestructible creatures or annoying walkers. Obzedat and Jace, Memory Adept are both cards that can win a game at this point. It will take time but it should work. Not to mention the fact that we still have here Lingering Souls and we all know the power of this card.

Anyway I really wanted to play Dimir Charm. The card not only works as removal but can prepare Terminus for the next round or find a missing land. That is something I really needed in my previous decks. Obzedat is a fun card but I think that it deserves to be played. It's not that bad as everyone claims it to be. And Blind Obedience is really awesome. The card is really good. Now after I put all those cards I like together there is a deck I would actually like to take to a tournament.

Esper Control

No comments:

Post a Comment