ad

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Grixis Control

Today it was time to test my new deck - Grixis Control. I wasn't sure if I want to try it and was considering sleeving Wolf Run once again but then I just let it go. I grabbed some cards that could come handy and put them into my side board, registered all the people and printed pairings for the first round. In the first game I played I had the chance to play against monored goblins. I wanted to know how my deck would fare against something like that.

Round 0 - Goblins
Goblin Fireslinger, followed by Berserker. I killed Berserker and waited for something else. I played Liliana of the Veil and let us discard a card. Hellrider came and hit me Liliana for 4, the remaining damage was dealt to me. I killed Hellrider with Incinerate next turn and left the Goblin there. I played Grave Titan afterwards. More creatures on the other side -> whipflare -> win. Second game was similar to the previous one. Liliana of the Veil and one sweeper was enough. Grave Titan did the job once again.

Round 1 - BR Aggro
In the first game Grim Lavamancer and one more 1/1 creature was dealing some damage. On T4 Falkenrath Aristocrat resolved and I was unable to deal with her. I tried playing Galvanic Blast turn later, but was hit with Brimstone Volley. Turn later I tried Geistflame which killed her and I was once again hit hard with another burn spell. I was at 4 at that time and I tried to kill my opponent with a Grave Titan. My opponent had 1 card in hand (Shock) and drew a second one, beating me in the first game.

+1 Whipflare
+1 Batterskull
+1 Negate
+1 Flashfreeze
+1 Wurmcoil Engine

In the second game it was once again 'Lavamancer aggro' instead of Noble thus giving me some time. I was beaten down to 3 life though anyway. I tried Grave Titan once again. Two turns from a win but one card from a lost game. I won^_^

Third game was dominated by my Batterskull and Wurmcoil Engine.

Round 2 - RDW
In the first game I was lucky because my opponent decided to deal with Liliana of the Veil killing her with two cards. This was crucial for me as he did not manage to deal the remaining four damages to me. He knew this was a mistake and was aware of that but still did it. This was good for me as I could hope for a win. I won the first game. After sideboarding (more or less the same as for previous round) I mulled to 2 red sources and Slagstorm. My ratched bombs were destroyed, but I also had Ancient Grudge in my hand and destroyed the two Shrines with it. Liliana of the Veil got me again rid of 3 cards and won me the game. Who would expect that?

Round 3 - Monowhite Humans
I feared this match up as I knew Angelic Destiny and Hero of Bladehold are cards I get hardly rid of. I miracolously managed to win the first game as I was able to deal with Crusaders but I wasn't looking forward to the second game.

+1 Doom Blade
+1 Whipflare
+2 Curse of Death's Hold
+1 Negate

I wanted some removal for the creature that would get Angelic Destiny on and was wondering if a Sword wouldn't hit me instead of Angelic Destiny. I played Ratchet Bomb trying to get it to 4, but it was sent to oblivion and Hero of Bladehold followed. I had no counterspell nor removal but I could possible block Hero with Snapcaster and flashback Galvanic blast. Too bad though that my opponent played Angelic Destiny. I tried playing Forbidden Alchemy which was my only hope but there was nothing that could solve the problem. I died two turns later.

In the third game I did not drew source of blue once again and wasn't able to get more than 4 lands. I managed to stay alive for a long time and got rid of Doomed Travelers, Champion of the Parish and one Mirran Crusader. In order to do that I played 2 Olivia Voldaren and 1 Ratchet Bomb. I could let the bomb go to 3 though and had to destroy it with 2 counters taking down two Honor of the Pures and giving me the chance of killing all the other creatures except Mirran Crusader. I blasted the crusader but another one followed.

Round 4 - RDW
I started by mulling to 5 or something as I did not have lands nor a sweeper (or removal whatsoever). I expected T1 Noble and turn two Berserker. But in the end it was T2 Shrine and another Shrine followed later. I was unable to counter that as I did not have any source of blue. My only chance of getting rid of this was playing Ratchet bomb and hoping that I would destroy it earlier than my opponent manages to kill me with it. I drew the bomb but when I destroyed it the Shrine was at 8 counters. Koth came afterwards and I was unable to deal with him as I still did not have a source of blue (actually I had but it just came into play tapped)

Game 2 I sided in

+1 Whipflare
+1 Batterskull
+2 Ancient Grudge
+1 Negate
+1 Flashfreeze
+1 Copperline Gorge
+1 Wurmcoil Engine

In the second turn I was overwhelmed by little creatures and this time it wasn't Grim Lavamancer but Stromkirk Noble on T1 followed by other one drops creatures. I played Whipflare getting rid of them. That slowed my opponent a lot and I could develop my mana base. In between he played red shrine and I destroyed it with Ancient Grudge (having already Copperline Gorge in play for flashback). Koth came and tried his best with +1 ability. I then played Batterskull but my opponent did not have a response to that and I killed Koth with it. Later the germ died and I played Wurmcoil Engine having counterspell to back it up (I did not want any Act of Treason or Act of Aggression). This was too much for my opponent and he gave up. In game three I was unable to get second red for a while but when I got it I could sweep the board and be alive. Koth came. Mountains started to attack me, I killed each of them and my opponent was at 2 lands while I had 6. I played two snapcaster mages in order to at least have one that could attack Koth and hopefully kill him. One Snapcaster Mage died but the other one was capable of killing the red 'walker. Later in the game I had all I needed and won.

Grixis Control

After this tournament I would do slight changes.

-1 Mana Leak
-1 Olivia Voldaren
-1 Slagstorm


I'm not really sure what I would put in though (probably +1 Forbidden Alchemy). I'll give the mana base another chance next week. I was mulliganing quite a lot but majority of the games I won were when I mulled to 5. Desperate Ravings was working wonders and after this tournament I wouldn't put it away. Hopefully next time I'll play against other decks than monored or primarily red decks. I wanted to test my deck against different types of deck but unfortunately I wasn't given the chance - blame the Wizards Event Reporter^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment