ad

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Unusual tournament

Since Thursday I'm trying to take part in a magic the gathering tournament (format extended). On Thursday we arrived to the game store and found out that we are only 3 for the tournament. On Friday the situation was more or less the same. That day I at least managed to play few games with my UWR (t2) against bant (ext) and we had a lots of fun during the game. Today I arrived to the game store hoping that finally today at least 8 people would come. Well, the tournament took place not being a DCI one as there were not enough people for it. So why it was so special? Check the following photo...



Round 1 - GW Aggro

I played against GW aggro deck that was trying to kill the opponent with Bonesplitters and Shield of the Oversoul. My task was easy with my Izzet control - kill the creatures with bolts, counter Shield of the Oversoul or bounce the creature being enchanted and kill with Ephemerons or Mulldrifters. It was an easy task but I have to say that my opponent build his deck quite well. He at least thinks about what he's playing and why which is something many of the younger players don't do (as they usually net deck and then they are trying to figure out how the deck works). This player would deserve a praise for this even though he needs more skill and better deck building skills. He's getting better though. He even sided land destruction against me which surprised me. Well played.

Round 2 - Izzet control

I played more or less a mirror match. My opponent played Lightning Bolts, Incinerates, Burst Lightnings, Izzet Chronarchs all in playsets maindeck. He also played Flame Jab which is a good card but not really that good against me (especially not good for counter battles). Anyway all this translates to => too many burn spells compared to my poor Lightning bolts and burst lightnings. I don't remember how but I managed to win the first game somehow. Probably Errant Ephemeron won't be a win condition card in these decks^^. Mine ended up burned and I countered my opponent's one. After the first game I put out my martyrs and faerie trickeries (replacing it with negates and incinerate). The second game was a really bad one for me and the game was quite short compared to the first one.
In the third game I wanted to win^_~ and I was slowly getting closer and closer to that. In the end Shimmering Glasskite and burn spells managed that.

Round 3 - Monogreen Aggro

Last round was unusual. Actually I played against a deck I build myself so I knew what to expect. In the first game my hand was ideal 2 burn spells, island, mountain, 2x remove soul and train of thought. My opponent played Frontier Guide, then Nissa's Chosen (3x!!) and Larva. All those cards ended up burned or countered. I let him have Basilisk for a while (2 rounds) and it killed my Mulldrifter but that was actually what I wanted so my opponent helped me^^. My opponent tried few more creatures but all ended up dead, my two ephemerons and a mulldrifter with few burn spells did the job later.

The second game was quite funny. I kept a really bad hand ... or well actually it was Mountain + 3 burn spells + counters. This wasn't enough (as I did not manage to draw enough lands to keep up) against adventuring gear, harrow and territorial baloth.

I won the third game easily and won the "tournament".

No comments:

Post a Comment