ad

Monday, September 28, 2009

Zendikar - prerelease

My first (positive) experience with Zendikar was a draft. I managed to draft some interesting Naya aggro. I got Timbermaw Larvas, white ascension and some red insect with first strike (I thought that those would be my killers in the draft). I got then Grazing Gladehearts (as I thought gaining life might be what I will need!). After that I saw that getting some extra lands in play would help me a lot so I got my hands on Harrow and Khalni Heart Expeditions. This would help me get some lives and deal some serious damage. Meanwhile I got Zektar Expedition, some red wall (0/4 that can boost itself), 4 damage preventing spells (tanglesap and shieldmate's blessing). I was hoping to get some creatures but there was nothing useful in my colors so I picked Savage Silhouettes and Adventuring Gear. I have to say that when I played with this I was surprised what it can do and how much damage it can deal o_O even though I knew that 7 creatures was a GREAT risk.

Sealed deck seemed pretty bad after I got the cards from the deck swap. I went through the cards and wasn't really happy about it. No playable rares except Day of Judgement. I put the playable Cs and Us aside and counted them. Later I checked which colors I could drop and what creatures/spells are better. I ended up with an Esper deck. Black was sure. Green and red seemed aspiring but blue and white had tricks and some not so bad creatures.

It was mainly based on intimidation and flying with landfall. I got Windrider Eels and vampires to deal damage. I also got 3/3 Angel and 2/5 flyer but those did not usually come to my hand. Merfolk Seastalker was a must, Aether Figment was dealing quite some damage too. For gaining life I got a white land giving me 2 life, Narrow Escapes and Vampire's Bite (this card was working wonders^^). Got few bouncing spells too which I mainly used on my permanents and Day of Judgement.

My first round was a win. I got 2:0 and was finished quite soon so I went to check out the others. Someone told me that he was killed by the white angel ascension twice fast so I started to be afraid of playing against that person (as he also got 2:0). Others got 2:1 wins.

In the second round I got to play against him. I won the first game because he got a really bad draw. In the second game I was trying to survive till some bird producing angel ended up on the table. Later Ascension showed up too and I managed to survive for a long time. I was waiting for ONE single card. Day of Judgement would help me and my opponent knew that so he was saving up creatures on his hand for that. Anyway he won as I did not draw anything helpful.

The third round was the most random and most chaotic game I ever experienced. I'm capable of having a mess on the table but it never gets to that point where I have lands and creatures together and not knowing what certain cards do. I won the game so it was fine after all...

Fourth round was a complete failure. My opponent was shuffling my deck and actually managed to force me to take mulligans up to 1 plains, 1 swamp and two cards (one of them was playable). Too bad for me as the next 7 cards were blue + 2 plains. He took quite some time to kill me though. In a second match it ended up the same. I had nothing I could play even though my hand was good (mana screw *sniff*). I haven't seen much from his deck and my opponent has seem completely nothing from my deck except plains and a swamp. He did not even know that I play blue^^ (I showed him my hand after the game was over).

In a fifth round I hoped for a win once again. I got to play against RG. My opponent seemed to be pretty distracted and was tapping and retapping his lands which annoyed me the most. I was thinking about calling a judge but tried to survive that. All his cards were scattered all over the table and it was hard to see what card is what (in terms of types). I got distracted pretty badly by this and lost one game because of that. Also I started with 4 cards, this did not help that. Anyway I was ready to win this match as my opponent showed me all his tricks in game 1 and I knew my deck could handle that. Too bad that I started game 2 with few mulligans AGAIN. My vampires and flyers made it in the game though and stayed there for some time. Not sure why my opponent hated a vampire that made him lose life for each creature coming under his control. I think there were other cards making much bigger difference. After a pretty long fight I won both games (game 3 started with 2 mulligans as well...OMG) making silly mistakes on the way as I gave my opponent 5 rounds for free...-_-

Interesting play was against my last opponent. A win would mean top 8 for sure. He got a really nice bant deck^_^. With drawing cards, fair attack (those big trample beasts, angel producing birds, tapping merfolk and such) and tricks. I was already in a really bad state and couldn't concentrate at all. I lost the first game, not really being able to do much with it. I won the second even though I made like 5 really bad plays.
The third game was a failure. It even went to me playing a wrong land. (I got a swamp and island on my hand and I knew that I need 3 islands in play. There were two in play and one my hand). I have no idea what I thought but I played the swamp card. Why not...this way I could tap only 2 creatures, just cool. Not to mention silly attacks I made and some really bad plays. The game was in more or less stall. But I just couldn't go on and gave up, after such a bad play I did not deserve a win. Anyway I could have won the game. All I needed was kill the tapping merfolk and attack twice. The first two cards I would draw were black removal.^_^.
No matter what I enjoyed the game and played against my opponent once more. A really interesting game too. It was funny looking at my opponent when I started bouncing back my creatures^^. It was just then when he realized that my comment about Day of Judgement saving me was actually a valid threat for him. There were three turns in the game and the last one killed me (one round before I would kill my opponent). It was fun game.

No comments:

Post a Comment