ad

Monday, September 7, 2009

Grand Prix Prague

This weekend many Magic: The Gathering players came to Prague to take part in a Grand Prix tournament in this game. This tournament is open to everyone. So anyone can come and play (if that person has a valid DCI number).

I decided to enter the main tournament myself mainly because I'm fed up with Alara block and it would be nice to play m10 once again. I also hoped that I would get some good cards but as usual it didn't work out THAT well.

On Friday I went to register for the tournament. When I arrived there weren't so many people. Few minutes later though many people came to stand in the line. After some time waiting someone announced that those who can pay in crowns can go there and pay. I payed and continued to the registration desk. There I forgot my DCI number so I spent about a minute trying to figure out what my number looks like. After figuring out that it starts with 1204 I entered the rest without a problem.

I entered the right wing of the Prumyslovy palac and took few photos. I noticed 3 shops (one of them being Cerny Rytir), demo stand, Duel of Planeswalkers stand, RYZWear showcased products and the artists corner. I met some fellow players and my schoolmate from FJFI.
---------------------
On Saturday the main event started so I prepared myself for the upcoming 9 rounds. It started as usual I opened a really good cards (for monowhite deck) and received something that was 3x times worse. It wasn't bad as I had lots flyers and removal but I wasn't lucky at drawing what I needed. It came down to this situation...

I had lots of creatures on the table, my opponent as well. I couldn't attack with Serra angel as Deadly recluse would block her. All I needed was one of six cards that would decide the game (I had 3x doom blade, 1x prized unicorn, 1x excommunication, 1x pacifism). I did not have that many cards left in my library and I already took out most of the basics out. It looked like I had 10 cards left in the library. Last chance to draw and do something (the chances of drawing a doom blade were HIGH) => the drawn card was a swamp. You know my cards weren't that bad, it was a silly aggro but it should have been able to win at least half of the games played. I wasn't so unlucky like the guy who got 4x Mirror of Fate. Or the poor guy who's mulligans looked like: 1st mulligan - no lands, 2nd - all plains, 3rd all forests...


I've seen some funny stuff around. There was a player I met in third round (or somewhere around that)that had gorgon's flail, pyromancer and Siege-Gang Commander. I have to say that the "targeted deathtouch" wasn't funny at all. There was also one little kid who got a nice lifelink deck. He got soul wardens, dread warlocks, lifelink and other lifelink creatures. He was gaining a lot of life and got some tricks (oh that Death Mark hurt! Poor angel!). When I had three (for me) unblockable creatures on the table I was quite afraid of losing. Fortunately prized unicorn did its job this time and killed all those creatures and survived (giant growths helped).

Anyway at the event we could get our cards signed by John Avon (who had to sign thousands of cards...and I still wonder how come his hand is still capable of writing) and by Anthony S. Waters. I got Legacy Weapon, Obelisk of Alara and Jungle Basin signed in the first "round". His unhinged and DCI lands followed.

I've got some photos from the event but it's not much and won't probably tell you much about the atmosphere at the event.

Photos from GP Prague

No comments:

Post a Comment