ad

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Casual EDH attempt no.2 - Phelddagrif

For many players Marath and Prossh were too powerful so I was given Phelddagriff. I was told to build a deck using this as a general. I decided to do so. But for quite some time I was stuck with it because I couldn't come up with some 'kind' or funny deck. In the end I decided to try a wall deck with some kind of ramp that could give my opponents cards and later kill them with something (Blue Sun's Zenith). As you might well expect the deck didn't really work. I managed to kill one player usually but otherwise it did not work at all and was impossible for 1-on-1 play. (not that it would be a problem to have a multiplayer deck)

So later on I decided to tweak it into more ramp deck but still keep it more or less friendly.

I kept two mana walls that actually do something from the deck before. I cut for example Axebane Guardian because that card was really bad in the previous deck as well. Either I want to play my general or play something that helps me a bit more than usually 'gives one mana and has 3 toughness'.

  • Wall of Blossoms
  • Wall of Omens
  • Vine Trelis
  • Overgrown Battlement
  • Wall of Roots
  • Sylvan Caryatid

In order to get some more lands in play I added some ramps effects and exploration effects. I could probably play more ramp instead of the Walls but well I decided against it^_^. It could become a bit more consistent^_~.

  • Exploration
  • Explore
  • Urban Evolution
  • Cultivate
  • Solemn Simulacrum
  • Skyshroud Claim
  • Eladamri's Vineyard

So now having many lands what I can do with them? Play some Eldrazi for example or play Avenger of Zendikar and play even more lands or annoy someone with Mindslaver (I don't usually do that but in 1-on-1 games this usually can end the game. Getting rid of Eldrazi seems to be quite easy^_~ Or well much easier than it might see). I even play Tooth and Nail but that card does not usually have much targets. Since I also have white in the deck I decided to play some white cards...one of them is Entreat the Angels.

  • Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
  • Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
  • Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
  • Entreat the Angels
  • Mindslaver

Hitting lands is important, the deck needs card draw (because it can play more lands per turn usually). Courser of Kruphix with Exploration/Oracle of Mul Daya allows to play more lands. Genesis Wave and Wargate often look for lands. Time Warp or similar cards also look for lands (a bit more expansive 'Explore').

Even though this deck plays some Walls the deck cannot handle too many creatures with creatures alone (usually) so it needs some sweepers. At first I ran only Austere Command and Oblivion Stone but later I added Supreme Verdict and Wrath of God.

There are also tutors in the deck. Some people don't really like them and I don't play them if I don't really need to (Mystical and Enlightened Tutor).

  • Mystical Tutor - usual target is cultivate in early game later it looks for win condition
  • Enlightened Tutor - Future Sight mostly
  • Sterling Grove - Future Sight mostly, otherwise Oblivion Ring effect
  • Wargate - usually gets me a land card
  • Expedition Map - looks for Eye of Ugin or Academy Ruins
  • Tolaria West - Eye of Ugin/Academy Ruins/Wasteland
  • Treasure Mage - Wurmcoil Engine, Mindslaver

Then there are cards that used to be so cool when printed like Capsize and Forbid. Crystal Shard is one of the cards I also used to love and abuse quite a lot so I had to put it in there. The same goes to Meloku, who used to be usually one out of two win conditions in the past. I added the card out of nostalgia.

The deck is quite fine, but some people start to complain about it nonetheless. So that kind of forced me to come up with another deck - Roon Blink (more in the near future about that deck). So here's Hippo decklist.

Phelddagrif

Creature [21]
1 Acidic Slime
1 Solemn Simulacrum
1 Carven Caryatid
1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
1 Oracle of Mul Daya
1 Terastodon
1 Sylvan Caryatid
1 Rampaging Baloths
1 Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
1 Overgrown Battlement
1 Meloku the Clouded Mirror
1 Eternal Witness
1 Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
1 Wall of Omens
1 Woodfall Primus
1 Avenger of Zendikar
1 Wall of Roots
1 Treasure Mage
1 Wurmcoil Engine
1 Courser of Kruphix
1 Vine Trellis

Instant [7]
1 Capsize
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Blue Sun's Zenith
1 Enlightened Tutor
1 Cyclonic Rift
1 Stroke of Genius
1 Forbid

Sorcery [15]
1 Wrath of God
1 Tooth and Nail
1 Cultivate
1 Walk the Aeons
1 Skyshroud Claim
1 Austere Command
1 Entreat the Angels
1 Genesis Wave
1 Time Warp
1 Explore
1 Beacon of Tomorrows
1 Compulsive Research
1 Wargate
1 Urban Evolution
1 Supreme Verdict

Artifact [5]
1 Crystal Shard
1 Expedition Map
1 Oblivion Stone
1 Mindslaver
1 Relic of Progenitus

Enchantment [7]
1 Sterling Grove
1 Rites of Flourishing
1 Dictate of Kruphix
1 Banishing Light
1 Eladamri's Vineyard
1 Detention Sphere
1 Exploration

Land [41]
8 Island
1 Petrified Field
8 Forest
3 Plains
1 Brushland
1 Wasteland
1 Tolaria West
1 Savannah
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Eye of Ugin
1 Academy Ruins
1 Tundra
1 Tropical Island
1 Misty Rainforest
1 Flooded Strand
1 Scalding Tarn
1 Yavimaya Coast
1 Celestial Colonnade
1 Glacial Fortress
1 Temple Garden
1 Sunpetal Grove
1 Windswept Heath
1 Breeding Pool
1 Adarkar Wastes
1 Mana Confluence

Planeswalker [2]
1 Jace Beleren
1 Kiora, the Crashing Wave

No comments:

Post a Comment