ad

Monday, June 3, 2013

World Magic Cup Qualifier Czech Republic #3

This weekend Cerny Rytir organized the third World Magic Cup Qualifier and PTQ Dublin at DDM Spektrum near the Cerny Rytir store. I decided to participate because finally I had a deck I could play with and actually manage to win more games than lose (unlike with Esper which is a real challenge to play, especially when I don't actively play and have no idea what to expect). I did not want to pay the starting fee so I decided to sell the promo card to get the money for the starting fee. This worked out well. So at 7am I tried to get up and get to the site. I was the second one to register so I had plenty of time for writing down the decklist etc. Many players came to me asking me if I have card x or y during that time. I'm not entirely sure what is better - players asking for cards 30 minutes before the tournament or players asking for the cards during the night before the tournament (yes, some people bothered to write me at 3am^^). That is the reason why I decided to go offline the next night.

Round 1 - BUG Aggro
I was completely caught off guard. I did not expect a deck like this and had no idea what to do with it. The game was so fast that I did not really have time to think about what to side in. Anyway I sided in Abrupt Decay, 4x Pillar of Flame and Grafdigger's Cage. I won the second game mainly because my opponent kept a one lander and that land even came into play tapped. That gave me some time and I had enough burn spells to get rid of all the creatures (as he was forced to play one spell per turn). Game three my hand wasn't so good and my opponent soon had 3 Strangleroot Geists and Young Wolf in play. My only removal was Liliana that I could hardly side out so I played her making one of the creatures bigger and 'saving' one life and lost a turn later (Dreg Mangler joined those Geists and Wolf).

Round 2 - Zombies
At first I had no idea what my opponent was playing. The first card I saw was Bloodthrone Vampire. I just couldn't figure out what kind of deck would play this (unless it would be Vampire combo^^). My opponent was mana flooded and hardly played some cards. Falkenrath Aristocrats dealt some damage but without Gravecrawlers or other creatures to make them indestructible they did not last long. After killing all the threats I simply overwhelmed my opponent with my own creatures. In game two I sided in yet once again 4x Pillar of Flame and Grafdigger's Cage. Pillar of Flame just worked wonders and soon the game was over.

Round 3 - Bant
Round 3 was quite unfortunate for me. In game one I was overrun by a set of Loxodon Smiters. 'Where did you go Blightning' was ringing in my head during the whole game but still I had to try my Rakdos's Return (to be honest I did not expect those Smiters that much). Some Voice of Resurgences joined these 4/4s and I just died. After such game I thought that the deck is more aggro than control so sided in more removal and got rid of those Returns. My opponent did not play much creatures so I tried to play my own creatures but my Tusk was countered by Dissipate. Second Dissipate got rid of another card and then my opponent finally started playing some creatures. Once again I was facing Voice of Resurgence. My opponent was down to 6 and I was hoping to draw something that could deal the remaining 6 damage. I was in top deck mode. The next 5 cards I drew were lands unfortunately and my opponent played Thragtusk that killed me few turns later.

Round 4 - Zombies
Once again I was facing zombies. This time I found out why Bloodthrone Vampire is a good card. I let the Vampire sitting there and my Huntmaster was stolen from me and then sacrificed. I encountered two more Mark of Mutiny cards but still won the game. After siding in Pillars and Cage I easily won.

Round 5 - Possibility Storm deck
My opponent played Abundant Growth on turn 1 so I was trying to figure out what kind of deck I was facing. Some kind of Enchantress? Type 2? The next card he played was Mana Bloom so I picked that card from the table and started reading it. Head Judge of the event was passing by and asked my opponent if there was a single player that did not actually need to read the text on the card. I played Olivia Voldaren but she was rendered useless (some enchantment that gives -5/-0 and can be returned to its owner's hand for 2U). Later he played Possibility Storm and that was more or less end of the game. I still wondered how such a deck could win so continued drawing cards and playing Farseek after Farseek usually hitting Mizzium Mortars though (via Possibility Storm). I was extorted down to 9 via Blind Obedience. When my opponent played another Obedience I conceded (I was wondering if Assemble the Legion was in the deck..it was). Game 2 I sided in Acidic Slimes, Rakdos's Return, Slaughter Games and Abrupt Decay (Dreadbore did not seem to be doing anything). On t3 I played Liliana and started discarding cards. I was sure that this would kill my opponent. I used her ultimate ability and later played Sire of Insanity and in few turns won.
My opponent brought Pithing Needle in for the next game but I did not mind. I played Garruk and all the creatures I had and simply attacked and attacked. Backed up by Acidic Slime and Slaughter Games I could hardly lose. (but my opponent helped me with that as he did not manage to draw more lands and thus couldn't deal with my threats)

Round 6 - Gruul Aggro
I was overrun by Gruul Aggro. After first attack I went down to 13 and after the second one I was down to 4. In game two I managed to stop the attack and played Huntmaster of the Fells. I stabilized and then managed to get rid of all the threats. Game 3 was quite fun^^. My opponent was attacking with some creatures and killed anything I played (Huntmaster once again). He played Thundermaw Hellkite when I had 14 life. I took 8 damage. I had Olivia Voldaren on my hand so I played it and hoped not to die. Single burn spell would kill me no matter what. I let Hellkite deal another 5 damage and blocked the 3/3 creature that was attacking alongside it (I pinged it so Olivia would survive). Next turn I stole Thundermaw Hellkite and wondered if I could still win. I attacked for ten, played Garruk, put a 3/3 beast into play and still had Abrupt Decay to deal with the lonely attacker if it would be pumped by Bloodrush ability. In my next turn I attacked once again and won the game.

Round 7 - UW Spectral Flight
2 Mulligans and it did not look good. Actually it did look good until my opponent was capable of attacking with a single creature for 10 the first turn and for more the next one. I did not draw Liliana so I could get rid of it and died a turn later. In game 2 I somehow won as I was able to get rid of all the creatures that could be enchanted and I removed Geist of Saint Traft from the deck. In game three I kept a hand with Dreadbore and Abrupt Decay. I thought that this would be sufficient as removal. Unfortunately the first creature my opponent played was Knight of Glory. I did not draw Liliana of the Veil nor Pillar of Flame nor Mizzium Mortars. Later the creature was enchanted and hit me few times. I could still play Abrupt Decay on Spectral Flight so I could block it but for that I would need a creature in play and the only one I managed to play was countered.

Round 8 - UWR
Sire of Insanity and GG. In second game I played Thragtusk after Thragtusk and played Slaughter Games on Sphinx's Revelation. That was all I needed. My opponent in top deck mode wasn't a threat.

I went 5:3 which was quite ok. I did not win anything nor placed well but it felt nice. The deck was working well except occasional mana flood or mana screw and I think that I can get some better results with it at another tournament. But a friend of mine will play with it so I'll have to come up with some thing else. Everyone was nice to me and there was no real tension there among the players. I enjoyed the tournament and I'm glad that I participated. I also got my hands on some Japanese cards. ^_^

Decklist was similar to the one I posted in the previous post. I would do some more changes..like cut 1 Rakdos's Return and add one more Olivia Voldaren and play Curse of Death's Hold and Gaze of Granite in SB...etc.

Jund Control
stsung
Type II

Main Deck:
2 Arbor Elf
3 Garruk, Primal Hunter
4 Huntmaster of the Fells
4 Liliana of the Veil
2 Olivia Voldaren
2 Sire of Insanity
3 Thragtusk

1 Abrupt Decay
1 Dreadbore
4 Farseek
2 Ground Seal
3 Mizzium Mortars
2 Putrefy
2 Rakdos's Return

4 Blood Crypt
3 Dragonskull Summit
2 Forest
2 Kessig Wolf Run
4 Overgrown Tomb
2 Rootbound Crag
4 Stomping Ground
4 Woodland Cemetery

Sideboard:
1 Abrupt Decay
2 Acidic Slime
1 Grafdigger's Cage
4 Pillar of Flame
1 Rakdos's Return
1 Sever the Bloodline
3 Slaughter Games
1 Tragic Slip
1 Vraska the Unseen

No comments:

Post a Comment