ad

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Duels of Planeswalkers Challenge Mode

Few days ago a friend of ours came to our game store asking us for help with challenges in DotP. I already played the first DotP and I enjoyed the challenges. Even though I had problems with controls in the game which made me to replay some of the challenges even though I got them the first time I saw it.

There is one challenge I want to note. (This is a spoiler as the solution will be contained in the following text)

In the first game I noticed that WotC was placing Phage the Untouchable everywhere they could. But she never really was there as a win condition (for you as the player of the game) in the challenges. I always thought that it is a pity not to be able to play Phage from a different zone and let the other player lose the game this way until...the new expansion. (not the newest)

Anyway your opponent has something like Air elemental, your Drake/Dragon, Mahamoti Djinn, Darksteel Colossus and Phage. You have two little soldiers on the table. So there's no way killing your opponent by creatures.

In your hand you have Brainstorm, Tidings, Dispeller's Capsule, Planar Cleansing and Evolving Wilds. Seeing all these cards together was already quite too much for me. New cards that I would not ever play plus Brainstorm and Tidings? Colossus on your opponent's side and Air Elemental? No matter what your task is just to win this turn.

The first thing I did was play brainstorm and I saw that there is no solution there. So I tried playing Tidings instead, there I had it Polymorph! And what to do with it? GET PHAGE ON THE TABLE from the library. Anyway to have the sufficient mana to play Polymorph and Excomunicate I had to play a fetch land to fetch an island and then brainstorm. Brilliant solution, nice challenge! Now the Phage challenge actually exists.

I have to say that the only thing that I missed was that my library only has 4 cards in it (Well, yeah it's done for obvious reason (fetch land) - Polymorph has to be in those 3 cards you draw.). That's something I would notice in real life.

No comments:

Post a Comment