ad

Monday, May 24, 2010

Extended for fun

On Saturday I found by an accident some Pillars of the Paruns. Luki seemed like he would want to build a deck based on multicolor split cards. The day later we went to a park and played few games of Magic there. Wind was blowing (it seemed that a storm would come sooner or later). Still we decided to play. I wasn't sure if I want to play with my Zoo (not a cheap deck really^_~) and Luki proclaimed something like "the best deck for this weather [windy one] is to play a multicolor deck with lot of planeswalkers, vivids and gemstone mines". It took me a while to realize what he meant with it. But well you know counters weight quite a bit and can hold a card down.

When we came back the idea of planeswalkers and 5c deck was still there in his mind so we decided to build some casual decks for extended. His proclamation made me laugh several more times so I wanted to go for some Persist deck. Luki kept to his 5c control.

At first I wanted to play it in Jund colors with Sprouting Thrinax and Soul's Fire but I was too lazy trying to figure out what the mana base should be. So I took Quillspikes, Devoted Druids and Rites of Consumptions and decided to add few cards that would come in handy.

Yum Yum -1/-1 Counters
Creatures: 22
4x Quillspike
4x Devoted Druid
3x Putrid Leech
3x Murderous Redcap
2x Nantuko Husk
2x Bloodthrone Vampire
4x Kitchen Finks

Other spells: 16
4x Inquisition of Kozilek
4x Maelstrom Pulse (Putrefy)
4x Vines of Vastwood
4x Rite of Consumption

Lands: 22
I added some lands...without really thinking about it
It worked though.

7x Forest
7x Swamp
2x Twilight Mire
2x Overgrown Tomb
4x Verdant Catacombs

Kitchen Finks gain a lot of life and they are quite good attackers and good blockers. Redcap can kill some creatures even though it won't kill Wild Nacatl nor Kird Ape etc. That's why I choose to play 3 of them.

I needed something to sacrifice my creatures. I wanted to play Nantuko Husk 4x but I realized that there's a creature for 1B having the same ability. Not sure which creature is better so I have 2 of each for the time being. I wanted this deck to be more aggro so I added Putrid Leech as well. It does not have persist but can pump itself which saves it against Bolt, Helix, Firespout etc.

I wasn't really sure about the rest...Vines of Vastwood is there for protecting Devoted druid or well that was the original idea as I need devoted druid to be able to produce mana. Inquisition of Kozilek seemed good idea as well. This will get me rid of all the cards I don't want to see. I was left with one more slot in the end. I was thinking about adding Safehold Elite but then decided to add some kind of removal. The only universal removal is Maelstrom Pulse but how good is that at extended? Putrefy should be good enough.

I'll have some Matrixes/Needles in sideboard. Most probably Firespout as well. We will see how this can fare against other Extended decks than the 5cc and Zoo I played against.

No comments:

Post a Comment