ad

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Korlash, the big black creature...

It's been a while that I've been thinking about constructing a highlander deck. I had 3 ideas. One is a blue/black control that if survives the early game then can get whatever it needs (in late game) and kill the opponent with it. I did not manage to find some cards for it and well the deck is slow and probably pretty boring for MP games. (I have the base for the deck so I might finish it one day, sooner or later)

The second idea was Esper control that would be killing with artifact creatures (the sphinxes). For that I would need to get the artifact creatures though so I discarded that idea as well. But it would have everything counters, removal both white and black, "reanimation" of artifacts and such. It could work well...somehow.

The last idea was purely aggro deck (that would be fun as many players play aggro decks - goblins, elves, merfolks etc.) I decided to have a tribal deck that would have some combos in it and finally it came down to Zombies. Black can tutor, has removal, reanimation and that's all I should need (I will be lacking artifact/enchantment removal which might be a problem).

At first it seemed to be Zombie's deck with discard but later I decided against it because it was slowly starting to be a control deck...so I ended up with something that looks like this for the time being. There are many cards I would exchange but I have to come up with better ideas later...I haven't tried the deck yet so who knows if this is going to work or not. We will see next time we have a session.
//creature spells
carrion feeder
festering goblin
putrid imp
withered wretch
viscera dragger
boneknitter
cabal interrogator
plaguebearer
skinthinner
cemetery reaper
zombie trailblazer
nantuko husk
lord of the undead
death baron
smokespew invoker
frightshroud courier
graveborn muse
infectious horror
gravedigger
vengeful dead
soulless one
undead warchief
corpse connaisseur
corpse harvester
gempalm polluter
grixis slavedriver
twisted abomination

//tutors and some other stuff
demonic tutor
vampiric tutor
sensei's divining top
hymn to tourach*
sign in blood
mind stone*
funeral charm*
corrupt
drain life


//enchantments
cover of darkness
gravepact
call to the grave
phyrexian arena
tortured existence

//reanimation
disentomb*
rise from the grave
cruel revival
oversold cemetery
ashen powder

//planeswalkers
liliana vess
sorin markov

//removal
death pulse*
diabolic edict*
last gasp*
unmake* (removes from the game)
sudden death (hehe split second)
nameless inversion (yay it's a zombie)
tendrils of corruption
plague wind
nevinyrral's disk (only way of getting rid of other stuff than just creatures)
doom blade*
damnation

//lands
Mishra's factory
Cabal Coffers
Crypt of Agedeem
Volrath's Stronghold
Unholly Grotto
Urborg
swamps

The cards marked with asterisk are cards that I would prefer to change for something better suited. But I will just test the deck as it is next time and see how it goes. Hopefully it will be playable.

The general for this deck would be Korlash, Heir To Backblade.

There's just one thing I'm missing and that is something/some creature that would generate some zombies or creatures. Cemetery Reaper comes to my mind but that removes a creature from my graveyard and I need to have those creatures there.
But we will see...oh yeah it seems that I should play pithing needle if I want to defend my graveyard from crypts or relics hm.

So what do you think about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment