ad

Saturday, May 2, 2009

Gathering Dark

I finished reading Book of the Malazan dead and I wanted a book I could read when on my way to school and back. And that's where Squop comes in with The Gathering Dark, Ice Age Cycle Book.

Reading the first page I realized that I know this author and checked if it really is Jeff Grubb who wrote it. He wrote this book and I was quite happy about it and continued reading.

When the protagonist was introduced I was sure that this guy would be 'white' and I was a bit disappointed by that. His teacher was Red though so I was wondering what good will come out of it^_~. When our hero cast his first spell Jeff Grubb uttered one really nice quote. 'Now, feed the fire while I finish preparing the hares. Unless your little display brought them back to life and frightened them in the process.' I just imagined the scene where the protagonist would have revived the hares and they just run away... hihi 'Dinner on the run!'

And it wouldn't be the first dinner on the run as later there was another funny scene with food. One mage animated a turkey and wanted to have some fun. In defense another mage animated rolls and sent them to fight the turkey. A third mage was commenting all this. 'And the death-turkey goes in the middle of the dinner rolls! Their buttery insides are no match for blazing silverware, and the poultry-geist is carving them to pieces! Oh there are crumbs everywhere! But wait, the long loaves are now in position, and they are raising up like cobras and slamming themselves down on the reanimated turkey! They are striking it againand again not giving the bird a chance to regain its breath! Yes, Yes! It's all over, everyone! The baked goods have carried the field.'

The story of Jodah our white mage (soon to be planeswalker I guess^_^) continued and I was already in the middle of the book wondering what it's going to be about. As it is with white mages I was also irritated from time to time because of his sense of justice and righteousness (omg correct spelling? whoa). But later in the book it seems that he's going to be a Boros mage or maybe even something more 'rainbow mage/planeswalker' as the spell needed to get him to Phyrexia probably needs black mana.

There were some awesome scenes with Jodah and Sima, a blue mage that tried to taught Jodah magic. Yeah, that's how I imagine blue control 'mages'. hihi (poor Jodah)

Well, I finished reading the book the next day so I'm left with nothing to read once more.

Personal Rating: 3.5/5

1 comment:

  1. já ti zas něco přinesu ;-)

    (dokonce už vím co, tak se ti to snad bude líbit)

    ReplyDelete