ad

Sunday, May 31, 2009

All common series - Legacy

This Sunday on 31st of May an All Commmon series tournament was held in Usti nad Labem and four people from Prague decided to attend the tournament. Raptor, Sammy, Stepan ("Mr. Mind's Desire") and me.

16 players entered the tournament.

I was pretty exhausted from the whole week and even the Saturday and I was too lazy to finish my deck or look for something like a sideboard (even though that with a little bit of searching for the cards I could have actually win against Affinity and Drain life decks, I would beat goblins as well...but well)

What I encountered at the tournament and was quite surprised by it were two facts.
1. White played often (with artifacts and affinity or BW)
2. quite a bog amount of players actually played uncommons! and this also in many times resulted in the games being won by those people.

The tournament wasn't DCI sanctioned BUT I find this outrageous as it's the players responsibility to check their decks. No decklists were written and submitted. If they would be submitted at least 3 players would need to be disqualified.

Anyway I played a green-white sliver deck splashed with red (for removal and affinity hate). I know that this wasn't a best choice for 1-on-1 tournament but I was too tired or whatever to realize that I still have my legacy RG deck somewhere in my house. I did not expect to win anything anyway so it was fine.

First Round
I played against a monoblack deck that was killing with Drain Life, Consume Spirit and Corrupt spells. I somehow managed to get my slivers in play and kill the opponent before he managed to do anything. In the the second match though (he sided Dark Banishings) my opponent cast Duress throwing away my Rancor enchantment. In the second round it was Hymn to Tourach to annoy me even more (gemhide and thrill of the hunt). Already this was a fatal blow...in the third round Duress+Hymn to Tourach. What else I can say?
In the third round I wasn't lucky either and lost to 2 corrupts and drain life.

Second Round
It was two Prague players against each other. I was too slow with my slivers and the game ended quite soon. Actually I think it was more about the 3 armadillo cloaks on some lovely creature

In the remaining time I played with my Naya T2 deck against extended faeries. The game started with two ancestral visions and continued pretty smoothly for the faeries.

Third round
In the third round I encountered one of the 2 (or 3?) Affinity decks. It started quite innocently. But as soon welding jars started to appear on the table I was afraid of few Enforcers coming to play and it happened. Frogmites, Enforcer and now all that was left to make me grin and shake the opponents hand was - Cranial Plating. I did not expect it could be worse...but when an old ornithopter was "cast" along with cranial plating I was just hoping to stay alive for a while. I could make my opponent sacrifice all the jars but I did not have enough removal for all the creatures.

So the lovely Ornithopter killed me.

Fourth round
This time it was my slivers against slivers and everything seemed quite fine till one uncommon card ended up on table and I bombarded by Goblin Bombardment. The second match seemed fine for me as well. I took my opponent down to 5 lives but he managed to get 6 goblins in play (again with uncommon cards). After this I was just hoping for ONE thing and that was a single mountain (or gemhide sliver). On my hand I had 3 lightning bolts and two heart slivers. The last card I hoped would be a mountain was - Lightning Bolt.
So being beaten by uncommon cards at All-common tournament I just waited for my last place.

Fifth round
A blue control is what I encountered in the last round. I tried to cast about 10 spells just to see them countered by mana leaks, condescends and counterspells. I was slowly counting the spells... 4 mana leaks in graveyard, 2 condescents, 1 counterspell... etc. Finally my opponent cast a condescend tapping all his islands in the process. I was so happy of that and finally cast my Sinew Sliver I had on my opening hand from the beginning, Rancor followed. Few more turns later I won^_~.

4 comments:

  1. uncommony na allcommon turnaji, přesně tohle dokáže pokazit celej turnaj :-(

    ve třetím kole zjistit, že někdo má v decku U a vyhrál na to předchozí kola, to je na odstřel

    ideální řešení je imho Disq/matchloss (s tím, že se všechny non C karty nahradí basic landy). Je potřeba to postihovat tvrdě, protože to kazí hru všem okolo. chyba se stát samozřejmě může, ale aspoň je to poučení pro příště si všechno pečlivě zkontrolovat - je to záležitost deseti minut na internetu

    ReplyDelete
  2. to by byly 3 matchlossy z peti kol, co jsem hrala. nevim jak by ten turnaj nakonec dopadl.

    jako kdyz jsem videla treti uncommon u tretiho hrace tak me myslenka na to, ze to ohlasim celkem presla.

    ReplyDelete
  3. minimálně by mělo smysl jet tam i příště...

    ReplyDelete
  4. ja se na dalsim turnaji ozvu, pokud tam zase nebudu uprostred kola usinat a zadat opponenta at me vzbudi.

    ReplyDelete