ad

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

(Movie) In Time 2011

My bf downloaded this movie (ok sorry no money to whoever should get it) and it was just there on the HDD waiting to be watched. Some time passed and one day we finally decided to watch it. We didn't know anything about it, so we did not really expected anything. I actually checked IMDB for rating and 6.5 wasn't convincing even though...yeah it's well over 5.

The first few sentences told us in general what the movie is going to be about but even knowing that I couldn't just wonder or think during the movie and lately I don't do that often. I either see a movie based on a book or a comics that I've already read or see something completely stupid (not to be taken seriously, but there's some truth to it). This movie shocked me quite a lot.

The movie is set in our worlds' future where the only currency is time. When one turns 25 five a clock on his hand starts a 1 year countdown. Rich people can live for decades, poor people fight for a minute. The protagnist is from a ghetto where people kill for a week of time. One day though he gets over a century of time and his journey to a different world begins. (go see the movie).

First what you see is the protagonist and his mother (being 25 even that is hardly believable). Anyway this is striking already. One starts to think, how it came all to this. How people could have gotten genetically altered to stop aging at 25? And then in the movie, one has to ask a question...how it is possible that there are kids with time on their hands? How come there are people that look older than 25?

Anyway this movie is not some awesome looking science fiction. Do not expect beautiful special effects and action. This movie is just about time being a currency and what impact this has. It provokes one to think about the current problems (rich vs poor people) and time and money. Without these provoked thoughts I can imagine the viewer not liking the movie much. There things that are hardly logical and need to be discarded in order to be ok with the movie. But still the movie shows a different perspective on life and the questions that might show up in your head are interesting and it is good to stop for a while and think about it. I personally think that this movie is worth watching and I would recommend it to anyone even though that if the movie would be done in a better way it could have been a real bomb, even for those not really wanting to think about the issues the movie is addressing.

Cillian Murphy playing the 'bad guy' was really superb and he made that movie alive. It's a pitty that there wasn't more about his background/past. I wasn't convinced about the main characters played by Justin Timberlake and Amanda Seyfried. Seyfried reminded me of some japanese anime character representing a caucasian character... Olivia Wilde though was good and I couldn't miss Johnny Galecki even though he wasn't there for long. But well..I guess that after watching a series for several years it strikes you that the actor plays someone else in a different movie. Or is it just me? Maybe yes...

I don't know what more to say. It just provoked a real chaos in my mind and I couldn't stop thinking about the movie. Even after few days I just had to think about time, life, money and our society.

Personal Rating: 3/5
After writing this I realize that the movie is not really well done, but the message is there. Thus I give it 3/5. It does not deserve more even though I wish the director would take it to another level and made it better.

No comments:

Post a Comment