ad

Friday, March 6, 2009

Exalted and Battlegrace Angel

Yesterday we went to Outpost (not really counted with that so we came there completely unprepared) to have some fun. I wanted to buy some slivers like the Virulent one^_~ and some others but all the slivers were already sold.

Later Lisak came and soon after (ok NOT that soon) that Squop as well. So we started building some decks. I had all my slivers with me so I decided to try some B/U colored deck. Lisak was trying to come up with some G/W life generating deck. But we soon found out that the best life generating deck was the Squop's one^_~.

After some time we started to play and I first encountered Exalted. I did not know yet that the deck was based on this ability. Ok, Exalted gets a single attacking creature +1/+1 for each creature with Exalted... how could this be bad? Shouldn't it? With 10 creatures with Exalted the attacking creature gets +10/+10. I wouldn't care that much about it if the goddamn creature did not have first strike (my deathtouch was thus useless). How can I deal damage to such creature? Ever seen a 11/11 sliver? (in BU? yeah, maybe with 20 mana spare...lol)

If my slivers would become unblockable I could deal lethal damage but that's the time when Battlegrace Angel comes in play. This beautiful Angel (I have no idea how it looks like as I can hardly read the text on cards in my hand) reads:
Flying, Exalted. Whenever a creature you control attacks alone, it gains lifelink until end of turn. So there was a really nice 10/10 creature attacking each turn with lifelink. That's 10 lifes per turn and me dealing 9 dmg each turn with some of my slivers. I have to say that I regretted not putting Nevinyrral's Disks into the deck^_~(or damnation).

You know I remember Banding, Flanking and Life giving Angels when they came into play and some other life generating cards and creatures. But Exalted/Lifelink triumphed all this. True when people were playing Angels years ago they usually had protection from [color] so getting rid of them was a bit more problematic. I could destroy Battle Grace Angel with Dark Banishing but it did not bother coming to my hand.

Next game it was Lisak who was the life generating player. I got Shifting sliver out soon so I was doing some damage to both of the players. Squop was the one with low life total as Lisak was gaining a lot of life this time. I decided to kill Squop and concentrate on Lisak. So I was attacking Squop with my slivers and he turned them in 0/1 snakes. I usually played Counterspell but that spell ended up counterspelled as well. So in the end poor slivers ended up without abilities ... Anyway Squop ran out of the Snakeform cantrips and lost. The important thing about Squop leaving play was that Oblivion Rings were destroyed and I was again unblockable. It was about me and Lisak then.

Lisak played Silhana Ledgewalker and enchanted her. She got +2/+2, Trample, +3/+3. This was pretty annoying as she can't be blocked normally (needs to be blocked with creatures with flying) and can't be target of spells and abilities from our sides. So Lisak wanted to add +5/+5 on her but I countered that as I did NOT like the idea of 11/11 Silhana. He gave up later on and looked on the top cards of his library to see if he would have a chance to kill me. He got one card that deals X damage to flying creatures and each players (I got 14 life, he got 35). I would sacrifice my flying sliver though and get him back into play next turn via Volrath's Stronghold (so my slivers would still be in play). He got 7 mana spare so he could deal 7 dmg directly and possibly 6 with Silhana but she would be blocked by the rest of my slivers (6 or so...). Thus it wouldn't probably matter. After all the alternatives we were trying to come up with this card and what was in play so Lisak would win I looked on the top card of my library and the card was Counterspell. So all this crazy thoughts were for nothing as I would simply counter the spell and attack with all my slivers.

No comments:

Post a Comment