ad

Monday, April 30, 2012

Ascension the Game port for iOS

My post about the game - if you don't know it already

I read on Facebook that I can get this game for 0.99USD so I grabbed an iPad and tried to buy it via the Apple Store. I have to admit that there was a slight problem with getting it. I don't know why but it was always redirecting me to itunes instead of being downloaded right away. After few minutes of trying to download (as it was already payed for) it I was finally rewarded with 'Ascension Downloaded' message.

I played a game and tried to see how it works. I was difficult for me at first to see and realize what my opponent bought as the animation was too fast for me. When it was my turn I played my cards and bought a card. I wanted to beat cultist, but I wasn't awarded a VP. Later I found out that I have to either drag the card to Void or tap on 'defeat'.

The interface is nice, but it took me a while to figure out that I have to activate my constructs and that I need to be dragging cards to the right places (my deck, discard and void). But I guess Apple product users are used to this. I'm not. Anyway it looks awesome and Round counter is good.

I encountered one problem though. Sometimes I got a wrong number of Honor points when there were two sources giving you VPs (I had Voidthirster in play). Also when leaving the game all the settings you set are reset for some reason. Online play is more like playing by mail, so I discarded this idea at all. I think that the game could use some chat window. It's at least something I miss and talking to my opponents is something I usually need. It happened to me many times while playing Magic that I needed to say something.

On game screen there is 'play all' button which will put all the cards 'on stack' and resolve them. It's good when your hand looks like 'mystic, apprentice, apprentice, militia, militia'. It just counts the runes and power for you and you can see what you can buy - it is highlighted in green. When there is something you have to do or choose a target it will let you go through it step by step (if you are banishing from two different areas for example) which is nice, but well in such games it is necessary. What is not mandatory and has the 'may' in its wording you have to do yourself and it won't be reminding you. ^^

Rating: 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment