ad

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

MtG - Fungi deck (not really tested yet - still in theory)

Today I spent some time thinking about a Fungi deck. Yesterday I realized that the Fungi I have are quite slow. I needed to be fast for certain type of decks and just couldn't be. So I was wondering what I need. With fungi what can I do? I can double my number of saprolings or I can make HUGE saprolings (other creatures, for sure there is saproling avatar right? I had a goblin deck with Avatars which was usually a big surprise. Most of the time goblins won without needing a HUGE X/X monster so when it ended up on table people were like WTF? - but that was like 10 years ago). But I did not like the idea of both of them. I want my creatures to be annoying but as well have at least some power over my life total, cards I can get and such. Either of these colors is not for that...so I could have G/U fungi but for that I would have to give up Black and have less fungi and more blue spells (I have these as I used to play blue/black control decks..but I don't want to play that anymore). So I was thinking what I could do with Green and Black cards. Probably G/U combination would be better working but I don't feel like playing that...for some reason.

I updated Magic Workstation to be able to browse cards from Ravnica to Conflux and went through time spiral cards and Ravnica cards mostly.

Yesterday and today I realized that many times having Pendelhaven land and Pendelhaven Elder was something that helped a lot. I fell in love with Deathspore Thallid. I used his ability a lot (against control decks with not really that much creatures but when they came I could easily kill them hopefully this does not get countered). But well, yeah this needs time or a lot of saprolings. I decided to keep a high number of fungi generating saprolings but not really care much about doubling them. Instead I would like to keep the possibility of having "bigger" creatures and saprolings that can still be a bit more powerful than 1/1 creatures. For that I have Thelon of Havenwood and Pendelhaven stuff. But I'm a bit afraid that it is not enough so maybe something like Sprout could be in the deck...

Vinelasher Kudzu is there for well something like Kird Ape replacement^_~ But I don't play R/G so... It gets bigger with each land which is handy and I just count on with this creature being on my hand from start of the game. Shell Dweller is a blocker that can take care of some bigger monsters and can actually become something that can even kill in defense.

As for killing nasty creatures and damage...I have here some weird black and green cards that I don't really like much. Like destroying tapped creatures in my own turn and having to pay a lot is not really what I like. I need some instant killing and for that I decided to use Putrefy. Not only it can destroy a creature but it can destroy an artifact as well. Destroying artifacts comes handy^_~ as I learned a hard lesson yesterday. I would probably put some Naturalizes to my sideboard as well but well...Enchantments did not really bother me lately.

And now the most important card. Well, there's Dark Confidant. I put it there because I'm in need of getting more cards. Losing life is not that good so for that I have some Spike Feeders there. They can be used for lives or +1/+1s or as a creature itself. So I found it as a good choice. I can search for them when I need them so that could work? Anyway Dark Confidant showed to be a savior of several last plays so getting him is kind of must I guess. But that card is expensive-_- *sniff*

Chord of Calling is in the decklist as well...but I'm not probably willing of buying them. I want to test the deck without this and think about some other alternatives. This card can get me either card advantage or boosting my monsters or life. I was thinking about something else as well with what I could use this calling card but nothing comes to my mind (especially as all those cards are new to me and I don't even know what Convoke is - Ok I know what it is but it's not like burned in my brain as Trample for example). I considered other cards that can get me creatures from the library but couldn't come up except cards that get me beasts or elves. There are cards that can get me creatures from the graveyard but I don't count putting any of these cards in the graveyard first...so Chord of Calling. Seems that's the reason why this card is so damn expensive as well. -_-.

Also probably I don't want to play Llanowar Dead/Elves ... I know that there are some weird signet cards in Ravnica that can give me for 1 mana BG. Just to find a name of the card. I have Llanowar elves though so I can use these for now...and they are creatures as well. I have to think about this a bit. Because having additional creatures might be good and might not need them at all...so?

I have to test the deck. Next time I venture to Games Workshop or well Outpost in this case I will buy the cards and try it out.

Still thinking of something like ... a way how to generate spore counters...hm.
Found the card I was looking for Fungal Bloom. ^_^

1 Pendelhaven
10 Swamp
13 Forest

3 Pendelhaven Elder
2 Spike Feeder
2 Thallid Shell Dweller
2 Thallid
2 Thallid Germinator
2 Thorn Thallid
4 Deathspore Thallid
4 Dark Confidant
2 Thelon of Havenwood
3 Vinelasher Kudzu

4 Chord of Calling
4 Putrefy
2 Fungal Bloom
-------------------------
EDIT: Decklist changed....because I've been thinking about Thorn Thallids and Fungal Boom lately (this with well both Thorn/DeathSpore Thallids and Thelon hmhmhm).

No comments:

Post a Comment