ad

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Outpost - MtG


For the last few days I'm thinking about Magic The Gathering more and more. Ok, this game has always worked as a link between me and some people in a foreign place or at events etc. It's something that gave me reason to start speaking French when I was in Belgium, it is something that found me friends in the Czech Republic, it's something that taught me English....it's something that got me friends in the USA and made me speak English....etc. There's more to it ... But this is already enough. Maybe that's why I started thinking about the game once again? Yesterday (the day before yesterday) I spent ten hours working on two images - Toxic Sliver (not a typo) and my version of a Swamp. Today (yesterday) I decided to go to Outpost. The place I always used to go to play MtG, buy my cards and meet others. I was afraid of coming there after so long...but everything went really well.

I entered, went down the stairs and was greeted. We talked for a while, I was asked what am I doing there and so I replied..."I wanted to check what is being played now...". Someone came there at that time and asked if there would be someone he could play Magic with so I volunteered.

I have to say that this guy surprised me. First cards on the table were Island followed by Ornithopter (from 10th edition so I was like - whoa that's colorful). I have to say that seeing this on the table from someone saying that he never played magic made something inside me jump... I was afraid to find a forest card the next round. Instead I got some 1/5 creatures and nasty artefacts. The control deck was in my opinion "over-comboed" but it was nice to see all those new cards. One mill card was really nasty even though I did not lose because of running out of cards. Um I wanted to say more about this control deck but well...In the end it was something new, I've seen many new cards in action and that was good. Also it's been ages that I played mono-blue control deck. I won all the following rounds as I was prepared for playing fast and not wonder what card does what (in combination with).

Next I played with some Funghi from Time Spiral against some Black/White creatures from Guildpack. The funghi making saprolings were cool^_^. Even though in the GP deck there was one Enchantment card that wasn't nice at all. "Whenever a creature attacks you, it's controller loses 1 life". I have to say that this is EVIL. Ok, I did not really need to care about it as I could choose between HUGE monsters or hell a lot of saprolings (or sac saprolings and bye bye whatever creature on the other side of the table). But playing with a different deck ... ummmm. I guess next time I'll try to think of a way how to destroy artefacts and enchantments...

Another player who came there played with Treefolk deck for fun and was killed by me. I liked the Treefolk deck though and was a bit sad that they lost...

And then...I tried playing against um something from Alara?? Ok, I haven't played MtG for a long time so this was a shock. Not that big as restarting to play Magic at times of Mirrodin block. I met a Planeswalker, hihi and I had to kill her otherwise I'm not sure what I would have to do to survive. My concentration was almost gone at this time and I was freezing to death. So I don't remember much except that I don't like some new abilities like Shroud and Exalted^_^. Some cards seemed overpowered (I just went through the Alara cards ... to see what it is about).

After that we played Stone Age tabletop game I did not really enjoy. But I see a potential in the game and I see why this game can be a good and enjoyable. Gotta play it at least once more^_^.

Wonderful day...really.
note to self: pay for the zombies you bought!

No comments:

Post a Comment