ad

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Hans-Martin Roder

I know the following might sound pretty random to everyone (except those who heard the whole story) but I want to write this and keep this log.


Years ago my cards and albums were stolen at GP Prague (on the first day of the event).

Cards get stolen, it happens all the time but for me this was a hard blow. I invested quite a lot and decided to play competitively (I was pretty naive back then^^). This ruined all my plans and after this I decided to stop playing altogether (not that I would actually seriously started playing that game anyway). I could not afford a third beginning (tis wasn't the first time I lost majority of my collection). But that meant that I would stop seeing all my 'friends' and people that were actually in contact with me.

And that is where one German player comes in. I would like to mention him because what he did is something I would not expect and what he did is something that helped me in my life later even though not directly.

I told Hans-Martin what happened to me and he said that he would send me a new deck in few weeks time so I could start over. I told him that I would greatly appreciate this but did not count that this would actually happen since in our country people don't give a damn about others most of the time. Two weeks later the deck arrived though. Holding the cards in my hands I tried to think of a way how to honor this player. I couldn't come up with one except meeting at another Grand Prix in Prague as that one was already scheduled two years from the previous one where my cards got stolen.

This gesture of good will helped me a lot. I started playing once again and Magic got me through many difficult parts of my life later. Soon after this happened I moved to a different country. I did not speak a word of that language but Magic is a game people speaking different languages can play, right? It was difficult to find type 1.5 players but eventually I found some of them and this helped me learn the language and actually talk to someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment