ad

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Jund Control

Another WMCQ is almost here (in two days) and that is a reason to put together some type 2 deck. I played with Bant Control and Esper Control but I would not dare to show up with such a deck at another tournament. Esper has some really nice cards like Warped Physique and Aetherling but still I would fear playing against some crazy blitz decks. So I tried Jund. Sire of Insanity is a card that I immediately liked. Liliana of the Veil is a really nice card as well and that's why I wanted to try Jund. Many players came up with different Jund builds before me so it's nothing new for you I guess but for me it was exploring something new.

Some time ago I wrote some post about my Bant deck and I think that I compared it to Jund... I build a Jund deck at first and then switched to Bant because the Jund deck did not feel like control at all. It was a midrange deck that needed some luck and a style of play I don't like and was more dependant on creatures. But the deck that follows is different. It feels completely different. This is a deck that can be pure control or be aggressive.

Liliana of the Veil is awesome against UWR and Esper. T2 Liliana means a win usually. She can also deal with some nasty creatures like Geist of Saint Traft or just reanimated [anything]. Her discard ability is good against almost any deck. Running a play set is something I do not regret. That card is really strong and even against reanimator decks. I can't imagine a card that I would run main deck that would be as good as her. I know it sounds wierd but she wins games.

Mizzium Mortars is a card that I find much better than Bonfire of the Damned. I hated this card when everyone was playing Naya with 4 Bonfires. It was a race who would play his or her Bonfire first. I did not like that. When I was trying the Jund midrange deck Bonfire of the Damned wasn't showing when I wanted it and it did not really give me much control over what was going on. It either came when I needed it (wasnt happening often) or it was completely a dead card. It's a card I hate seeing on my opening hand. I could't kill a single creature with it which could be sufficient in most cases. Mizzium Mortars though gives us choice and thus control. It's a two mana Flame Slash or global removal. A bit of acceleration helps so I can play it early and deal with some annoying board. It cannot deal with 5/5 Trample Wurm but for that I still have Putrefy and Dreadbore (or Decay).

I decided to try out Dreadbore. Many decks run Garruk, Jace or Liliana and lately Sorin so I decided to try this. After some games though I'm thinking about playing 1 or 2 Abrupt Decays. Still it kills a creature and it deals with a 'walker as this deck lacks burn spells that can target a player.

Ground Seal main deck seems quite normal to me. But people seem to be surprised. Well there are many reanimator decks and are usually winning tournaments so this helps against this match up. It does not really take the space in the deck. It replaces itself even though it costs 2 mana. It is also good against decks running Snapcaster Mages.

Sire of Insanity is awesome agaist control decks but it can kill other decks as well. Against some match ups the card is completely useless as its usually about staying alive during early/mid game. In late game anything is good enough to kill the opponent. Sire can be played quite fast and is a big body. That's simply awesome and Jund top decks are usually good. Even though I managed to draw 10 lands straight in few games already^^. I still won though.

Pillar of Flame and Abrupt Decay against any fast aggro decks and GW tokens are a must (Bant Auras included). I would probably cut that Rakdos's Return from sideboard and added yet another removal or Olivia. She's awesome as well when used well.

And Olivia Voldaren she's really cool creature and the best creature against Aetherling.

Well I'm just glad that I finally found a Jund deck that I can actually play. It feels like playing control and not a deck that with random (even though strong) effects. So here's the list.

Jund Control
stsung
Type II

Main Deck:
2 Arbor Elf
2 Garruk, Primal Hunter
4 Huntmaster of the Fells
4 Liliana of the Veil
2 Olivia Voldaren
2 Sire of Insanity
3 Thragtusk

1 Bonfire of the Damned
2 Dreadbore
4 Farseek
2 Ground Seal
3 Mizzium Mortars
2 Putrefy
2 Rakdos's Return

4 Blood Crypt
3 Dragonskull Summit
2 Forest
2 Kessig Wolf Run
4 Overgrown Tomb
2 Rootbound Crag
4 Stomping Ground
4 Woodland Cemetery

Sideboard:
2 Abrupt Decay
2 Acidic Slime
1 Grafdigger's Cage
4 Pillar of Flame
1 Rakdos's Return
1 Sever the Bloodline
3 Slaughter Games
1 Underworld Connections

No comments:

Post a Comment