ad

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Eventually ending up playing Jund

After wondering for a long time what to play in the next qualifier tournament I decided to come back to the one option I was trying to avoid - Jund. A deck that was a mystery to me. The deck was never winning by some strategy or good plays but rather randomly. And with me cascading into rampant growths or terminates...Anyway

The deck list I was toying around was:

Jund
4x Bloodbraid Elf
3x Maelstrom Pulse
2x Sarkhan the Mad
3x Broodmate Dragon
2x Terminate
4x Putrid Leech
4x Sprouting Thrinax
4x Lightning Bolt
2x Liliana Vess
3x Siege-Gang Commander
4x Blightning
(26 lands, 4x ravines, 2x reaches)
SB:
3x Jund Charm
2x Dragon's Claw
1x Basilisk Collar
1x Terminate (should be replaced by Pulse)
4x Doom Blade
4x Goblin Ruinblaster
At the Launch Party there were 4x Doom Blades, 3x Inquisition of Kozilek, 4x Contaminated Grounds, 1x Terminate, 3x Mind Rot in my SB. It was quite fun to play with these cards. Inquisition and C. Grounds showed up to be really fun against Mythic Bant and Boss Naya. But well I have to admit that 2 damage to all creatures and as much removal as possible is a better way.

In the first round I played against levelers. It was an easy win in the first game and in the second I was too slow for the little guys. 2x Time of Heroes and Venerated Teacher killed me. In the third game I sided in all the removal, inquisitions and I was fine.

In the second round I played against Vampires. It seemed to me that one single cascade means a win for Jund.

Next I played against Mythic Bant. I kept a bad hand and was shown hierarch, lotus cobra and t3 Baneslayer. That was all I needed to see. After side it was me who won. Contaminated Grounds worked wonders^^.

Round 4 was a bad match up for me. I played against Boss Naya. Whenever I tested this deck against my Jund deck I just lost...and it looked that way in this match as well. Even though the game was much better for me but later Naya managed to win.

In round 5 I played a very interesting mirror. Our life total was going down by the same increment but the player who played something first simply won. (I lost)

Anyway I tried to play with 2 Sarkhans maindeck and I have to say that all the games with him were fun. He proved to be really good late game. When he has nothing to do he can just draw a card which comes handy as well. Having a 5/5 flying creature instead of Lavaclaw Reaches also showed up to be good (against Mythic Bant or Naya) and with Broodmate on the table it gets even more interesting (in mirror this it's a killer). Having a 5/5 flyer out of a saproling is not bad either. And against Eldrazi guys he does wonders. Oh your guy is indestructible? How about sac it! (I played against some Eldrazi Greens with Eldrazi creatures...it was quite fun when I managed to survive early game)

After the tournament I knew that I want Jund Charm (deals with Vengevine and little guys - hierarchs, birds etc). Also I needed something against Jund except Ruinblasters (c.grounsd). I decided to try out Dragon's Claw and Collar. I tried that at NQ in Prague.
-----------------------
Nationals Qualifier

69 people came to participate and it all started with a long speech from our judge. He wasn't even funny but some quotes of his won't be forgotten probably. One of them is stating the format the tournament is played (after we were paired and the decklists were collected).

First I played against Ondrej Smid playing Jund as well. He was pretty unlucky and I beat him in both games.

In my second round I encountered Tomas Golan playing Boros. It seemed that he's playing mono red to some point. He did manage to deal some damage with Goblin Guide but was unable to draw something relevant (probably even a plains card) so I beat him in the first game. In the second one he sided mana barbs. He started with Goblin Guide and was attacking with it each turn giving me lands all the time except one card - Jund Charm. In the meantime I played Dragon's Claw hoping to gain some life knowing this would be crucial later in the game. My opponent played Mana Barbs for the first time. I pulsed that one. Second followed though. Hopefully my opponent played Ranger of Eos and Goblin Guide which dealt him more damage than I could do. I killed both creatures gaining and losing life in the process so in the end it wasn't that bad (still 12 life wasn't good). Few turns later he played almost all he had on his hand thinking I couldn't kill it if he plays second manabarbs after it. This would kill me if I still wouldn't have that Jund Charm (he forgot about the card). Still even though he lost to me he qualified at this NQ. Congrats!

The next round wasn't really interesting. I played against Eldrazi Green. I kept my opponent out of mana acceleration and that worked. After this I played against 2 junds and lost both of the matches. In the first game I got stuck with 3 lands and in the second I mulled to five because of not having lands as well. In this game my opponent showed me a god hand - ruinblasters, bloodbraid into blightning...and that was all he needed. In the second match against mirror I lost both games to my stupidity. It was rather not realizing the fact that damages don't go on stack. When I realized it during combat it was too late. The other mistake was that I miscalculated my life total. I should have won this match. *facepalm*

Last round I encountered Mono Green Beatdown and was really overrun. Congrats to the player as well (I suppose he qualified).

I ended up 19th. 16 players qualified.
The tournament was nice.

EDIT: I might have forgotten some matches. I played against UW control and I have to say that Wall of Blossoms (er of Omens?) is really annoying. I dealt myself about ten damages before I could deal some damage to the opponent myself. Then I was simply waiting for Day of Judgment...

No comments:

Post a Comment