ad

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Meren and co. or Meren the Recurring Nightmare?

For my second EDH article for pureMTGO I decided to choose Meren of Clan Nel Toth. The deck was supposed to be better suited for the online field and it certainly was. But while playing with the deck I realized that the deck can actually be pretty ruthless and thus most probably be good enough for competitive play. It also seems to me that only few cards can be swapped in order to make the deck competitive.

This is the decklist I came up with for PureMTGO. I like it very much even though some cards I find rather annoying (Phyrexian Rager, Wall of Blossoms). I might swap these for more versatile creatures instead if I come up with any (but most likely adepts are Yavimaya Elder and Devoted Druid).

Since I expected Tasigur to be banned and I'm not going to play my beloved BUG Reanimator anymore (since too many cards got banned) I could play Meren as a general if I decide to show up at some French EDH tournament. Since Necrotic Ooze wasn't banned yet I can still play the Necrotic Ooze combo in this deck and ruin some player's day with it. For this occasion I decided to come up with more competitive version. Even though there are still cards I don't really like that much - Solemn Simulacrum, for example and some other high CMC cards (I should put Thought-Knot Seer in the deck). But I need to keep some of them so I can use Birthing Pod. I will also need to change the mana base a bit more to support the deck a bit better so I wouldn't need to run big amount of basic lands.

If interested to see what the deck was doing during some of the games I played online you can view some videos that I uploaded (those are vids for puremtgo, thus showing the more 'casual' version of the deck. The competitive one would certainly mean that people would scoop way more (and even when playing with this deck people scooped like 70% percent of time).

Here are some videos.
Here is a video showing what can happen if your opponent has way too much mana early in the game.
Meren vs Chromium
Meren vs Merieke Ri Berit

No comments:

Post a Comment