ad

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Casual EDH attempt no.4 - Budget deck and level of annoyance

At the last session I was told not to play with my decks because no one can actually deal with those (instead I was handed a white weenie deck...). The reason given was that one of my cards in the deck is more expensive than the decks I played against. Which is true but even if I would swap my manabase for basic lands they wouldn't be able to deal with my 150USD deck (and I was certain that I can put together a way more annoying deck for way less - I used to play all common UB control highlander). So I was wondering about what next I should build. I did not choose the right general for it for starters but I was interested in what it would do and how much it would cost because I did not expect the deck to cost much.

I put together Animar - comes into play deck...while thinking about the deck I did not really have my playgroup in mind in general but I was thinking about the player who was complaining about my deck on Tuesday. He wants to sell his Prime Speaker Zegana deck for 80EUR so I guess the deck that follows should be comparable to it (price wise). His deck is a nice Hydra deck and it actually is quite good and really difficult to deal with unless one plays Wrath effect every two turns. 1-on-1 the hydra deck is even more deadly than in multiplayer. That's not the case of this deck, but what it can do is so insane that it can actually stay alive in MP game and kill one player at a time with Animar having quite a lot of other creatures in play. Anyway back to Animar and 58 creatures I put together...

Animar, Soul of Elements

Creature [58]
1 Shrieking Drake
1 Wood Elves
1 Acidic Slime
1 Fierce Empath
1 Coiling Oracle
1 Sakura-Tribe Elder
1 Yavimaya Elder
1 Mulldrifter
1 Reclamation Sage
1 Cloud of Faeries
1 Priest of Urabrask
1 Krosan Tusker
1 Pelakka Wurm
1 Clone
1 Phyrexian Metamorph
1 Soul of the Harvest
1 Flametongue Kavu
1 Treasure Mage
1 Steel Hellkite
1 Inferno Titan
1 Artisan of Kozilek
1 Roaring Primadox
1 Garruk's Packleader
1 Man-o'-War
1 Elvish Visionary
1 Sphinx of Uthuun
1 Brutalizer Exarch
1 Raven Familiar
1 Peregrine Drake
1 Simic Sky Swallower
1 Pathrazer of Ulamog
1 Primordial Sage
1 Edric, Spymaster of Trest
1 Somberwald Sage
1 Garruk's Horde
1 Bogardan Hellkite
1 Farhaven Elf
1 Deadeye Navigator
1 Eternal Witness
1 Mystic Snake
1 Faerie Impostor
1 Wall of Blossoms
1 Arctic Merfolk
1 Dryad Arbor
1 Solemn Simulacrum
1 Genesis Hydra
1 Master Biomancer
1 Sylvan Ranger
1 Gatecreeper Vine
1 Flamekin Harbinger
1 Sea Gate Oracle
1 Fathom Mage
1 Bond Beetle
1 Trinket Mage
1 Quickling
1 Pestermite
1 Deceiver Exarch
1 Bloom Tender

Artifact [3]
1 Cloudstone Curio
1 Skullclamp
1 Crystal Shard

Enchantment [1]
1 Equilibrium

Land [36]
1 Command Tower
7 Island
7 Mountain
13 Forest
1 Ancient Ziggurat
1 Winding Canyons
1 Karplusan Forest
1 Shivan Reef
1 Simic Growth Chamber
1 Gruul Turf
1 Izzet Boilerworks
1 Yavimaya Coast
(mana base is random for the time being)

While putting this together I wanted to avoid any rare cards or mythics but I also needed some 'finishers' or at least I thought so. That's how Bogardan Hellkite, Inferno Titan and Steel Hellkite ended up in the deck. Honestly I had problems coming up with more creatures I could put there. At first my only finishers in mind were Pathrazer of Ulamog and Pelakka Wurm. But when I was looking at 83 cards and still had to add more creatures I just aadded from the pool of creatures that actually came to my mind instantly.

Anyway by just solitairing this deck I can see what it can do especially on turns 4-6 if Animar survives in play. I have to say that it is amazing. Now I understand why Animar decks can be so deadly.

So next time someone will be telling me that he can't deal with a deck that costs 150USD I'll play with this (supposedly costs 75 bucks) and I can still cut cards to make it less expensive and maybe even more efficient. (ho! There is Mercurial Pretender...and well I guess I could come up with some morph creatures as well). This certainly is budget deck but way more annoying than the rest of the decks I put together (I think). Cheap does not necessarily mean bad. (I guess any infect deck should be cheap as well)

Hm...I had to write a post about this because I spent majority of the day figuring the deck out. But now I can just toss it away and try to come up with something fair...Any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment