ad

Friday, August 8, 2014

Hearthstone - Curse of Naxxramas

disclaimer: don't expect something like a review or something, it's my personal experience with HS after 8 months or so.

Yesterday after a Magic: The Gathering group being a bit flooded with Hearthstone posts I decided to write one as well. As you may well know already I'm not such a great fan of Hearthstone. It simply does not satisfy my needs in terms of a good game. This game certainly excels in GUI. MODO is horrible, SolForge client is eh..still horrible. Hearthstone GUI is fun, nice, flashy ..it's genial. But that won't change my attitude to the game. Anyway I haven't played the game for quite a long time so I decided to run it and see if I would be able to have some fun games or games that I would consider 'games'.

I ran Battle.net and waited for HS to be patched. I then tried to enter the Adventure mode and chose the first encounter. I picked a wrong deck (a deck I build to complete some daily quest) and died horribly. But seeing new cards with deathrattle was good. I wasn't playing against something I played against already. After my defeat I picked my mage deck and went to beat the Anub'Rekhan. My deck could handle this and I was able to win by simply attacking with my creatures. Anub'Rekhan's ability seemed annoying but at that time I did not know about the Heroic mode's ability. In that case he was creating 4/4 creatures I couldn't deal with unlike in the normal mode. What was worse was the fact he got the possibility to clear the whole board that...that wasn't good.

Faerlina was much tougher. She killed me in the first game by using 3 times her ability. First one hit me for 11, second for 7 and the last one for lethal. I should have read the ability before starting to play anything but I was too busy figuring out where are my Tarmogoyfs. During the whole adventure I was trying to process all orders and build a deck for that day's modern tournament in Najada (otherwise I wouldn't even bother playing the game). For game two I decided to get rid of all card drawing effects in my deck and put some creatures that either leave behind something or can survive the Rain of whatever ability. (I added some spiders^^). After this beating her was piece of cake.

Next the big boss Maexxna. Well not much of a boss I guess? Or was I simply lucky? She was bouncing my minions and trying to deal some damage but in the end dealt none and I easily won. I have to say that some cards were really annoying especially those having Stealth. I don't have a way how to deal with big creatures in my deck so I have to outrace. Sometimes it gets difficult but in this case...it was fine. Two Frost Bolts and Two Frost Novae did the job. (Maexxna was going easy on me?)

After beating Maexxna I was hoping for more action but was notified that I have to pay 700gold in order to continue or pay some real money. With my 200 gold I couldn't do much. So I proceeded to Class challenges. I picked the first one. Rogue vs Maexxna yet once again.

Both of the challenges were fun. I got a deck with cards I did not play before. With cards that could deal with anything my opponent played. In between actual plays that were relevant Maexxna was producing spiders and I was producing oozes^_^.

When she played something bigger I killed it with some creature that can deal with that and in the meantime I was killing smaller threats with one creature I always bounced back and played again (it was 3/5 or something being able to kill a little minion). Then something wierd happened^_^ I drew a legendary card. The only legendary card I ever had in my deck was Alexstrasza but it was usually my opponents who killed me with her. Anyway I played the legendary card (making spells cost 5 more next turn) and it got bounced back 4 times before it finally died. After the board was relatively wiped out ... I managed to play some minions and deal some damage with them. 1 life remained to Maexxna. I top decked the One shot, one kill elf and killed Maexxna with that (even though I could have just attacked^^ with my hero or minion).

Then it was time for some druid challenge. Malfurion had to outrace Faerlina which was quite ok. Just needed my creatures to survive. Marks of Nature were great^_^. But the card that actually gave the finishing blow was different. Malfurion got +2Atk +2Armor and swung for the victory. This time I had no creatures in play and it would take me two turns to finish her off. This match leveled Malfurion up - up to level 2!

Now it was time to try the Heroic mode. I still hadn't finished my orders and hardly found anything for my deck. After reading/hearing the warning that this will take many deckbuilding attempts to actually pass I chose the first encounter. At first I thought that only the heroes life total changed but when he started spawning 4/4 each turn I wasn't really sure if I can handle it. At some points in the game it looked like I could actually win but top deck mode was inevitable and my 1 dmg for 2 mana couldn't really stand up to 4/4 each turn. So I tried to deal as much damage I could with my trolls and and hope for something like Fireball to the head and GG and that's what exactly happened.

So well Heroic mode is difficult I managed to get through the beginning (I don't have gold...for the rest) with my basic mage deck (without blizzard and pyroblast).

After this I was halfway through putting together my twin deck. All I needed to figure out is where I have some fetchlands, serum visions and sideboard. I also had some daily quests almost finished so I decided to try to finish them. I clicked on ranked and played 4 matches. In the first one I totally crushed some poor guy. In the second one I had to listen to some taunting guy that actually assembled something like a deck but died to my creatures anyway. The third match was more difficult, but after seeing the Coin being played on T1, followed by 1/1 recruit my opponent did not seem as someone I should lose to. By this time I still haven't finished my daily quests so I chose the ranked for the last time to earn some gold finally. I played against combo rogue that wanted to comment each mistake done (even if it wasn't a mistake but rather a desperate 'best' play I could do not to kill a turn), fizzled in midgame and died later in late game because he ran out of cards and I still could survive, deal some damage and wait for him to die. After this I FINALLY managed to get the gold from the quests and I could close the game because I could not stand another game.

So now comes the question...will I be willing to grind some gold to be able to finish Curse of Naxxramas or not? I need 500 more and that seems like ages in the game...no matter what there are no series to watch and I have nothing to do when processing orders or sorting cards. I was thinking about playing Duels of the Planeswalkers. Get all 900+ cards, build a deck and play online because that would actually make sense. But playing DotP15 takes even more time then HS and my eyes don't like it much (I feel dizzy after playing the game). In this case of dotp15 vs HS, HS wins.^_~

No comments:

Post a Comment