ad

Sunday, March 9, 2014

(Series) Helix

I ask my sister from time to time what series I should watch. She told me that someone else told her that Helix is one of the better series (the other proposed was Blacklist, I should have watched that first). I picked Helix first because it is supposedly a science fiction/horror which I would prefer as a genre. Usually the series my sister tells me to watch are actually good but Helix was a shock.

CDC researchers come to an Arctic base where an outbreak (ok well..just three people infected at the beginning)of unknown virus took place. They are there to stop it and find a cure. That's the general plot line. Well the scientist arrive there and start doing their job. But things get awry and me as a viewer I couldn't believe how silly the characters can be. They never heard of responsibility. They are reckless and they do not seem to have any training at all. They even lack common sense completely for the most part.

One string of the virus turns the infected people into hostile and aggressive 'zombies' whose only need is to infect other people. Knowing this the scientists do not even take guards with them, they do not communicate or check up on each other etc. Security protocols? Contagion protocols? Ever heard of something like that? I wonder what the director or whoever was writing was doing when coming up with a show like this.

There are so many things simply wrong (scientifically) and these 'missteps' happen too often for me to take the show seriously. This is supposed to be drama/horror but all I can do is laugh to the stupidity of the characters/people doing it and asking questions. The story is nothing new even though we might get somewhere 'new'. At the beginning you get the feeling that this is Battlestar Galactica but it isn't. Later you see some Alien, The Thing and other movies/series ideas. Well nothing new, but the story goes on. So far there were too many predictable things so I hope that at least something will be a surprise and not in a bad way. At one point I proclaimed that this series would need Seven of Nine. With that I meant that she would come to the base and talk some sense into all the people on the base...few minutes later Jeri Ryan arrived and well made even a bigger mess there. The fact that you expect something to happen and it happens is not good...this should be a mystery/drama/horror series shouldn't it? (and I WON'T even try to say that this is a science-fiction series, because that would be an insult).

No really is there something good on the series? Acting? No. CGI? Hell no. Drama? Erm.. Love triangle? WTH? Mystery? Hm...no. Soundtrack? Yeah this one is interesting. I could do a better job, at least one that wouldn't struck you that much.

I just cannot express the disgust and disappointment with this series. Really if you want to play a 'what's scientifically wrong' drinking game just watch it. You'll be drunk in no time. How this series can get such a high rating? It's so dumb that even a high school kid has to be scratching his head and wondering how someone can survive at night in -60 degrees celsius. Or just well...how someone can get attacked (approach in the most dumb way)by a monkey and come unscathed. Also it seems that the director wanted as much female characters as he could put on the show... ...

..Um the only thing I wanted to say is. If you actually know something about science, have some common sense and cannot stand something that has no logic at all just don't watch this. I really have NO IDEA how this show managed to get a positive rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment