ad

Sunday, September 26, 2010

SoM Prerelease

Today some of you might expect me posting about Scars of Mirrodin. I did not play the sealed deck and I did not really go through the spoiler so well... I can't describe my experience with SoM much. I knew of the 3 planeswalkers' existence and I knew about the new Mox. I read the spoiler once. I did not really get to the artifact part though. At first I liked the idea of infect but seeing it in action at the tournament I'm not convinced that this was a good idea. Proliferate was something that could have a real impact on the game so it shouldn't be ignored. And metalcraft? Hm, well having three artifacts that actually do something except than doing nothing worth noting is quite difficult. But who knows this might actually work. Chalices come to mind, we have an indestructible artifact, mox and memnite...something has to come out of it. But what it is going to be?

Anyway I ignored the (Scars of) Mirrodin spoilers and rumors for the whole time but I managed to hear something about Mirrans and Phyrexia (messing with Mirrans). I couldn't believe it. After opening few boosters I realized that it's actually true. Then I remembered the email announcing Game Day. For the SoM game day each player can build a deck that is affiliated with Mirran or Phyrexia. The cards in SoM are watermarked. The more or less circle watermark belongs to Mirran and the other one is Phyrexian (poison counter has the Phyrexia watermark). Each deck must contain at least 10 cards of one faction and none of the other one. The two best players of each faction will receive a Mirrodin Besieged promo card (either Phyrexian or Mirran based on the deck they played with). BTW each participant will receive Memnite promo card and top 8 players will receive Tempered Steel.
----------
On Saturday morning we got up and started cleaning our game store. Then we moved a computer, screen and other stuff to create a judge station in the main gaming room. On the screen we had a timer and DCI reporter was running there as well. I was showing pairings and standings on the screen.

I tried to make smaller but nicer (than last time) numbers on the table number markers and Lukas sticked them to the tables. An hour later everything was ready and people could come in.

Most players were pre-registered so those got a 20 sided die and a pencil for free. All of the players got Thermal navigator which could be redeemed - a drink and a candy of choice. Two players arriving from airport came a bit late otherwise we would start on time.

I gave each player his pool and told them what to do with the checklist. Everyone started sorting out the cards and first mythic rare was revealed. Tomas opened a foil Venser. Everyone was at awe but not so many people knew that he also got Wurmcoil Engine and other good rares. We all agreed that this deck would be the winning deck. In the end it wasn't the case. The not so experienced player played it and did not win the tournament. The person who opened this pool though won the whole tournament^_^.

The tournament went on smoothly and I hope that all the players enjoyed it. I had to explain what protection from artifacts does to some players but otherwise everything was ok.

I hope that next pre-release tournament will be as good as this one or even better. Thank you everyone for coming and playing.

No comments:

Post a Comment